Chapter Four

The funeral was small and intimate, with only family, close friends and a few neighbors to send their final regards to her father. Abigail couldn't stop the tears from streaming down her face. The feeling had been real in that very moment, she was burying the man she called her father. Even though her mother's arm was wrapped around her, comforting her, she felt it wasn't enough. It didn't ease the pain she was feeling deep in her heart, the one that simply doesn't go away just because you want it to. At that moment, all the questions she had been asked by her family members on where she had been all those years and how she dodged those questions as much as she could because they reminded her on why she had to leave in the first place, they were the least of her worries.

Hector Albert Haines

A beloved husband and loving father

After everyone scatted to different directions to their cars at the graveyard, Abigail stayed behind as she sat beside her father's grave and rearranged the flowers to keep herself occupied

"I forgive your father", she found herself to whisper as she stood up to her feet, although she wasn't entirely convinced she had forgiven him. She may have said those words with her own lips, but it didn't mean she would forget. "I hope you're at a better place now. "And even after everything, "I'll always love you", she said stood there, taking the sight of her fathers grave one last time. She brushed some soil and grass off her dress and walked to the car where Stephanie and Emily were waiting for her.

Abigail stood outside, thanking the guests for coming after they got served some refreshments at her home after the service

After they were gone, she sat on the outside swing and took her heels off and breathed out exaggeratedly. She undid her bun and let her red hair hang loose on her shoulders. Calvin strode towards her to sit beside her. "Emily just fell asleep", he said as he leaned on the swing. "It was a long day for all of us. I didn't think there would be so many people at the funeral".

"Yeah, I was also surprised. Father hasn't always been a saint, you know?"

"No kidding", Abigail ran her hand through her curly hair and Calvin took her other hand and entwined their fingers together. "I'm sorry about what he did to you Abbie", he said and Abigail rested her head on his shoulder.

"It's okay Cal, I'm over that now"

"I'm glad you're here"

"Yeah, me too"

Calvin felt his phone vibrate against his leg and he took it out of his pocket. The minute he enabled his mobile data, notifications came popping in, and he sighed as he scrolled through his social media.

"Still a player I see", Abigail joked, and he chuckled lightly

"I've never been a player Abbie", she could feel him shake his head before he wolf whistled. "This Mira chick is so gorgeous. Look", he nudged his sister, so she takes a look at the woman on the picture.

"Yeah, she's beautiful", Abigail wasn't interested, but she took one quick at the picture and returned to her previous position. "Is she a model?"

"You bet your sweet ass she is", Calvin gave a soft chuckle and scrolled on his timeline. "I follow her everywhere on social media".

"From being a player to a creep. Nice one Cal", she joked earning a quick playful glare from her younger brother.

"You should have seen the pictures of her and Austin Jenkins's wedding. Talk about going over the top. It looked unnecessarily expensive", he rolled his eyes, but then he remembered he spoke too quickly and spilled everything all in one go and stopped scrolling on his phone. For a moment he had forgotten who he was talking to. He had forgotten who Austin was to her and how much the news he just broke out would affect her.