Too close

Chapter fourteen: Too close (Madison's POV)

Everyone was pretty much out and we had been playing for about forty-five minutes. The only people left were Jacob and me. I got lucky and simply had one leg on the blue, one on red, one hand on the yellow and one on the red. One of each color. But Jacob was about to fall. 

He had a hard time holding himself up while his limbs were kinda on the corners of the mat in a plank. I was at the very edge of the mat, waiting for him to collapse. "Maddie left-hand yellow," Riley laughed. And now I was just sitting there comfortably. I began laughing when he began struggling to move his right hand a color to the left and then he fell and lost. 

He picked himself up and his shirt had paint all over it. All of our shirts did. I laughed while standing up and cheering, jumping a little. "I won! Haha! What do I win?" I wiped my hands on a spare rag that we brought. 

"This," Jacob said while running his hands along my cheeks. Painted hands, spreading red and green paint on each of my cheeks. "Hey, look at that," he laughed. 

I smeared blue paint across his cheeks and before we knew it, we all were having a paint fight. I was trying to dodge Riley who was aiming straight at me and my back crashed into Jacob's. I turned around to face him and he got knocked over by Nick. He took me down with him and fell on top of me but held himself up by his elbows. 

"Ow," I laughed while resting my hands on my stomach, breathing in deeply after the air got knocked out of me when I realized how close we were. "Too close," I placed my hands on his chest and pushed him off, taking Riley's hand that she offered to help me up while looking at me suggestively. 

Julia was just ignoring yet glaring at both of us now. I sighed while everyone calmed down and began cleaning up. I put away the paints before rubbing my hands on my shirt. "Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?" I walked to Julia who was sitting on the grass. 

She stood while dusting her hands. "Why don't you talk to Jacob?" she pushed past me. 

"Julia-" I called out but she was already inside. I sighed while sitting down on the ground, sighing in defeat while staring at the ground. 

No one wants me with Jacob. 

Julia sure as hell doesn't, which automatically means Noah won't either. Nick likes him but not for me, he wouldn't approve and Riley. She's the most supportive person there is out of this crowd. 

Maybe I can step back on this one. 

For Julia. 

"Hey," Jacob sighed while sitting beside me with a smile. 

I huffed and stood up, "I'm gonna go take a shower," I left without looking at him. I was walking inside when Riley grabbed my arm. 

"What's going on?" she asked in confusion. 

"Julia," I mumbled before going and hitting the shower. I rinsed the paint off and changed into a fresh set of pajamas before going to get myself some iced tea. I brushed my hair and threw it behind my shoulders before going downstairs. 

Jacob was looking through the fridge for something but I'm guessing he didn't find it. He closed the fridge and I noticed he was shirtless. 

God, why does he keep doing that? 

I walked right past him and grabbed a glass. I turned to the fridge but he was standing right in front of it, blocking it. I tried going right, he blocked me. I tried going left, blocked me then too. "Can you move?" I let out an exhausted sigh.