A Training Session

"Again."

Tim spoke firm, commanding, almost rudely, but Eldon didn't mind. Even at his most serious, Tim was still... well, Tim. Besides, he paled in comparison to Don Osgood. The old man almost tortured them back when he taught them, so this was just a soft reminder of those brutal days. Eldon also knew his life depended on this training, literally. So if Timmy behaved this way, it was because he cared.

Still trying to get things back to the way they were, Eldon and Tim began spending more time together, finding more things about each other in the process. Eldon learned that Tim abandoned his dream of becoming a blimp captain to take over his father's factories, that he collected clocks of all shapes and sizes, and that he loved apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top. Tim, for his part, learned that Eldon sometimes taught a History class over at Slatehallow University, that he played the pianoforte out of boredom, and that he ate salty chips every night before bed.

Slowly but surely, the trust and complicity they once shared crept their way back into their bond. Some awkward moments occurred, though, like when Tim suffered an allergic reaction to the nuts he loved in his childhood days, but which he became allergic to in the gears since, and which Eldon inadvertently put on a salad. Another time, Tim accidentally sat on an antique chair in Eldon's flat, breaking it and causing Eldon to throw something close to a tantrum.

Still, they made it work. Far too many questions remained, but both reached an unspoken arrangement. They would ask them the day after the battle if such day indeed arrived. A morbid thought, but one that worked for them, especially because it allowed them to fully enjoy their time together. And if there was a time they truly enjoyed, it was at the heat of a training session.

Eldon repeated the combo. Punch, kick, kick, dodge, jump, kick. He felt confident in his ability but Tim's expression was less than impressed.

"Again."

"You know, maybe I'd do better if I actually had an enemy to practice on," Eldon said cheekily. He instantly regretted his playful tone but he couldn't help it.

He lived better alongside Tim. Nothing mattered other than the heat of battle, yet everything improved. Wind blew fresher, earth felt moister, even rhythms sounded more musical. And he laughed. Eldon always had a twisted sense of humour and Tim not only appreciated it but he also encouraged it. Soon, it became clear that Eldon was his happiest when he fought.

Why did he ever stop?

"Is that right? You really think you can handle me?" Tim imitated his tone with a mischievous smile.

"I've handled you before," Eldon laughed and stood in front of his silver-haired friend, assuming the fighting position.

"If I recall correctly, our fights always ended the same way," Tim mocked, mimicking him.

As they circled each other, Eldon shivered at the prospect of fighting against Timmy again. Their matches never lacked excitement or passion. They struggled and enjoyed every second, giving their utmost best to each other, leaving it all in the moment. And although Tim indeed always won, Eldon didn't mind losing to him.

"Maybe I always let you win," Eldon lied as his friend laughed out loud.

"Why? You liked me on top of you?"

"Darn, you figured it out. And I thought I did such a good job hiding my true intentions."

"Well, your wish is about to come true. Ready to feel me on top again?"

"Promises, promises."

Tim didn't waste any time. Before Eldon realized it, the man stood before him and he quickly raised his arms to stop the punch that came his way. Eldon jumped back and kicked Tim's head. His friend successfully blocked it and responded with another punch. This time, it hit Eldon's straight on the elbow, but he hardly felt it.