$38

A lot of things kept running through my mind in just a span of a couple of days. First off, I couldn’t believe that Val was up for me to test the waters with Finley. Val has always been the considerate type though. She always put others before her, and most importantly, she always put me and my feelings before hers or anyone else’s. She would do anything for me, no matter how much it hurt her, and in return I’d do anything for her. As a girlfriend and as a best friend, she was amazing. I felt like I could tell her anything and everything and I felt comfortable talking to her. We’ve been together as a couple for about four years, so we knew just about everything about each other. When I thought about Val, I thought about her being the only girl for me. But for some reason, I never asked for her hand in marriage. I always avoided the whole thing, even with all the vague hints, and even the obvious pleading. The reason why I always ignored asking the big question was unknown. Val didn’t know why I wouldn’t ask her. I didn’t know why I wouldn’t ask her. Obama didn’t know why I wouldn’t ask her. God didn’t even know why I wouldn’t ask her. It was obviously me just being stupid and not stepping up to the plate. Even with my obvious ignorance of proposing, I still loved her with all of my heart. I guess I just wasn’t ready to get married yet.

Another thing that was on my mind, was why the hell Finley still talked to Nicky. Nicky had treated her like trash. Hit her, abused her, talked shit about her, and the last time Nicky and I had an encounter, she had punched in the fucking face. I’ve never did that to Finley. I may have said some shitty things, and grabbed her arm a couple of times, but shit like that was minor. I never punched her, or mistreated her horribly. Sure, I may have cheated and fucked her straight after, but at least I knew I was wrong for my doings. If you ask me, all of that was bullshit. I don’t know why it bothered me, so much but it did. The main thing going through my mind was how the hell she could still talk to Nicky. Maybe Val was right. Maybe there was feelings within me, buried deep inside for Finley. Finley and I definitely had a past: our hate-love relationship, and all of our crazy adventures, like when she ate my weed brownies or that time we went to that kid’s jungle gym and had the time of our lives. All of that still existed in my memory, and maybe I did miss that a tad bit. Val and I argued, but it was never anything as intense as Finley’s and I’s argument. Val has never thrown shit at me, but Finley has. Usually, Val just gave into the argument, but Finley would never do that. She was going to yell until she got her way or until I acknowledged her opinion. My feelings were conflicted. Why would I miss Finley when I had a perfect girlfriend?

I shook the thoughts out of my head, and looked towards the suburban home in front of me. It was Friday, which meant that I had to watch Rue while Finley had to endure chemo. I sighed and began walking towards the front door. I knocked a couple of times until the door finally opened. The beautiful girl stood in front of me with a slight smile on her face. “Hey, Zen.” I gave her a small smile also and stepped inside the house. “Are you okay,” she asked me once she noticed that I didn’t give her a verbal hello. She shut the door and I turned towards her with a confused look on my face.

“Why did you still keep in contact with Nicky over the years but not me,” I asked. Her eyes narrowed at me and she seemed just as confused as I was. “She asked about you. Uh, she came into the parlor to get a tattoo.” Finley bit her lower lip. I stared at her, expecting her to answer but the doorbell rang before she could say anything. She walked over to the door and opened it. An older version of Finley walked in, and I noticed the woman as her mother. “Hey, Mom,” Finley said before hugging her mom. The mother hugged her daughter and then walked into the room. She looked at me for a while, but she gave a polite smile.

“Why, hello.”

“Hey, I’m Zen.” I said before walking over to shake her mother’s hand. Instead, her mother pulled me into a tight hug, and I got a good whiff of her old lady perfume. Rue must’ve detected her grandmother’s scent because she came running down the stairs.