Chapter 66

Her heart was racing. Her breathing was heavy. She was beginning to sweat.

Lainey wasn't sure how long it had been, but her embrace with Benjamin was heating up.

He was actually producing body heat.

But how?

"B-Benjamin," she whispered.

He finally looked up at her, his gray eyes glossy.

"You smell amazing," he gasped. "You smell like . . . like . . ."

"Lavender," Lainey breathed. "It's my lavender perfume."

"Lavender . . . ," Benjamin echoed.

"You can smell it?"

Benjamin smiled as he nodded.

"I can feel you, too," he said as he gently squeezed her hand. "I . . . I can feel you, Lainey . . ."

"H-How?"

Benjamin's eyes softened as he looked at her.

"You . . . ," he breathed.

"Me?"

"This isn't the first time," he said, running a single finger through her hair. "But each time it happened, I was with you. It has to be."

"That's . . . how can it possibly be me?"

Benjamin slowly shook his head.

"I want to spend a day with you this weekend. To see if it happens again. See if any other senses return. . . . To confirm this."

Lainey smiled.

"Are you asking me out?"

"Will it make you say 'yes?'"

"Maybe."

Benjamin placed a hand on the side of Lainey's face.

"Then maybe I am asking you out."

Lainey slid a hand up Benjamin's arm until it landed on the hand that caressed her cheek.

"And maybe I am saying yes."

She smiled. It was an involuntary smile. The kind of smile you can't hide no matter how hard you tried. The kind that is caused by a moment you wish would last forever. Lainey knew how she felt about Benjamin. She had known for some time. And she was almost certain Benjamin felt the same.

He beamed.

"There's the smile I've been waiting for."

"Was it worth it?" Lainey breathed.

His eyes darted across her face.

"So beautiful . . . ," he whispered, moving his hand toward her chin, his thumb landing just below her lower lip.

Lainey's cheeks were on fire.

"I'm going to a party with my best friend tomorrow. How about Sunday? I'm free all day."

"Sunday it is," Benjamin said. He ran a finger through her hair one last time before standing.

"You're leaving?" Lainey asked. "Y-You don't . . . have to go . . ."

"There's something I need to take care of."

"Oh. . . . Okay," Lainey said, standing as well. She walked him to the front door. He stood in the doorway.

"I'll see you Sunday," he said before vanishing.

"Yeah," Lainey said to the empty doorway before closing the door.