Arc One Ch. 37

(Time Skip)

The worries which had been plaguing Nora's mind since finding out she was going to be a single mother, vanished.

Things had changed and there simply wasn't enough time in a day to worry over things she couldn't control. Her focus instead shifted to what could be done that day.

Rising early each day she tended to Kaia before making breakfast. After eating she would check on Kaia who usually remained sleeping. Once she'd packed everything she would need for the day into a simple leather bag with enough time to see Demarcus before he'd to leave.

With the leather bag slung over her shoulder and little Kaia all carefully wrapped up she headed out.

Entering the pack house Nora went to the kitchen and grabbed a tray left for her to take upstairs.

Nora took a deep breath and gave the door to Kira's room a light knock. She looked down at Kaia giving her pup a bright smile. "Let's see how aunt Kira is doing today sweetie." She said in a soft whisper to the half-awake Kaia.

"Good morning Kira." Nora called out in a cheerful voice as she opened the door. Setting the tray down next to the bed she went over to the window and pulling the curtains aside with a flourish to let in a few weak strands of morning sunlight, in high spirits Nora cheerfully continued. "The weather is lovely this morning." Unperturbed by the lack of response Nora turned around with Kaia in her arms to see Kira silently sitting up in bed.

"Ah it's nice to see you getting up so early." She said walking over to the seat next to the bed. Ever so gently she placed Kaia into Kira's limp arms as she began inspecting her bandages. "So there's no sign of blood which is good. Should I change the bandages first or would you rather eat?" She asked before taking a seat and lifting the lid off of the tray to check the contents. "Oh my how nice is this, I haven't had much time lately in the mornings so this looks quite fancy. It seems your other friends want to see you get better soon too." She said while taking in the bacon and venison sausage that weren't on the breakfast menu for this morning.

Remaining silent and unmoving towards Nora's small talk Kira remained focused on her hands that'd had been bandaged up in a thick layer of gauze like material. Kaia sleepily opened up a pair of dewy brown eyes before shutting them again. "Today I am the barer of some good news; Demarcus will be able to join us for dinner. It's been too long since we've last gotten together to have a nice meal and catch up. Ah now don't be that way eat up dear and regain your strength to fight another day." Nora encouragingly spoke while lifting a small bite up for her to eat.

Nora rubbed at her arm while sighing seeing the half-finished plate, she'd eaten more than usual these past few days meaning it was a good sign that at least her appetite was returning. Hopefully the mind would soon follow the body and allow Kira to truly come back to them. She'd been regularly praying to the Moon Goddess in all her divine wisdom to help her good friend recover. Nothing happened yet but she deeply believed that there wasn't anything the Moon Goddess could resolve in one way or another. Till then she'd continue doing what she could for Kira. "How about coming on a walk with us today, the weather is perfect for it." Nora suggested wanting to get the young female out and about.

Seeing no visible reaction she hid the disappointment that felt like failure on her part and forced onto her face a cheerful smiling expression. "Alright I won't push you to go Kira though remember you're welcome to come anytime when you're good and ready." She said with a slight crack from trying to repress her sadness. "Well I am going to take this down to the kitchen, clean up before heading out."

The door opened and closed as Nora left leaving the two silent begins alone together. Kira blinked her eyes a few times losing the empty glass eyed look to focus on the small pup left in her arms. She took these rare moments to take in the little girl that was going to look very much like her mother. Brown eyes met blue with a hidden glint of intelligence an infant shouldn't possess. Interested in what was instore for the girl she carefully opened the system interface and pulled up an information tab. The future was ever changing but there were always certain event that seemed predestined to happen no matter what changes happened.