[Act 1] Chapter 22: Empires Collide

Guinevere and Werner sat right next to each other in the atrium on a single couch, both too nervous about the meeting to talk to each other, twiddling their thumbs simultaneously. Werner considered holding her hand, but that would certainly anger Vera, who was sitting on the other side, staring at both of them. Instead, both of them could only sit and share the same fear of being the centre of attention in front of a large group of powerful men in a single room. Erenn was noticeably absent from the atrium, having been told to wait outside the Kaiser's office after the meeting is finished.

Everyone spent the entire morning preparing for the meeting. The elves, as per Werner's instructions, dressed in large robes to hide their faces and their ears in order to deal a shock when they reveal the existence of other species from beyond the Gate. Vera kept herself in a militaristic fashion, standing guard with her hand on her sword, the only guard Guinevere was allowed to bring to the meeting. Elaine had her magic be prepared, assuring Guinevere that it will completely blow away the entire Reichstag.

Guinevere had most of the night before going over a translated book about the history of the German aristocracy, trying to get something that could give her an edge in the coming meeting with her own words rather than displaying it, anything that could sway the Germans to her cause. But their prestige, their power and their influence dwarfed hers completely. What was she to them?

"They make us wait an entire day for the meeting and now they make us sit for hours?" Sera groaned. "Why can't they just put the Empress in a room with the Kaiser and sign the treaty already?"

Werner sighed and told, "This is not some medieval negotiations between two rulers and the simple signing of a treaty, we have updated the process. Now, it involves careful deliberation from all party members as well as a lot of convincing on your part. Then, it would take about a week to get all members to vote. It is the only way to ensure negotiations benefit their own nation."

"Their nation, their rules, Sera," Cara told. 

"I still don't understand why a nation of such prestige would allow such a meeting to take place,"  Sera said. "I am sure this Reichstag has more on their hands than discussing anything with six women from someplace that has nothing to do with their original homeworld."

"Just don't think about it, Elf," Vera told. "Her Majesty doesn't need you adding more to her plate."

Despite not speaking it, Guinevere was thinking what Sera was saying, more times than she should have. 

"Maybe it is like what I heard a noble said one time," Elaine chimed, grinning as she looked at a painting of the Kaiser, "they are just trying to make it interesting."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Vera demanded.

"Oh come on," Sera groaned. "You have to look around yourself and see the Germans are more than capable of taking over our entire world themselves."

As did the first Arthur did, Guinevere thought. She, as well as everyone else, knew the tale of the first Arthur one-thousand-five-hundred years ago. A single king marched through the Gate with an entire kingdom, as well as the Saxonian precursors, to destroy the Great Elven Kingdom, sending the elves within scattering to find themselves again - though, historians believed that the elves were already weakened with a cultural identity crisis. But, it was done with swords and shields. I don't think they even need to bring their entire empire, Guinevere thought, just a larger army.

"I hate to say anything, but she is right," Werner said, earning himself a look from everyone. "The Reich aren't ones to serve you dinner and call you an ally, they'd serve you fire and blood and call you a servant. After the Civil War, they aren't going to take too kindly to the people who went straight into their capital and slaughtered their people."