41: The Big Day

The Big Day

Julianna and I left for California after everyone else. Dad was suspicious as to why I didn't want to join the family on the jet, but I made up an excuse that I had work I wanted to finish. Ironically enough, Gabriella also had work she wanted to finish before we left for California. She wanted all her focus to be on the grand opening of the Clarkson Hotels and its partnership with Smith Sports.

Julianna didn't want my family to know that she was here. It bothered me because I thought she was afraid. They seemed to like her all those years ago, but now? Of course, when I got older they didn't want her to distract me, but something didn't seem right. I sensed it when dad surprised us the night of the dinner and quickly escaped. It's almost as if he recognized Julianna under her bleach cropped hair.

Gabriella, Mason, Dominique, Julianna and I managed to all get on the same first-class flight to California on a Friday night. Since we wanted the opening to be the main event, the Smiths offered their Californian apartments to all the guests. Apart from the media, employees and other business officials; it was the first time both families were under the same roof.

That's why it would've been awkward Saturday morning downstairs at breakfast. Julianna and I decided to skipthat and rather stayed up in our apartment. Technically, she said it was our first getaway together since she's back. We laid in the king-sized bed with more pillows around us than we asked for. Julianna loved pillows, especially when we had sex. This morning it felt different. It was our first time doing it after five years. Five years of growth and experience later, and we both realized how different we were from before.

Different was good. We made love to each other. I treated her in a way that she wouldn't remember the last person she slept with. My fingers trailed along every inch of her body to take in every curve. I listened for her slow exhale and watched her eyes droop in ecstasy. Julianna was sweet in every way, inside and out. The bed lingered with her flowery scent when she left for the bathroom.

Our apartment captured the perfect view of the morning sun. California's rays and sunshine glistened through the window and on the creased sheets. It was a beautiful day. From our window, we spotted the beach where it already began to fillwith people.

Julianna walked out in a purple silk nightgown and creeped back into bed beside me. I wrapped my arm around her and brought her close. Her fingertips grazed my bare chest and closed my eyes at her calming breath on my ribcage.

"This might be one of our last... intimate moments together." Julianna said. Her fingertips stopped when I opened my eyes and shifted to look down at her.

"Why would you say that?" I asked. "Are you leaving again?"

"No, no, no... it's just." She sat up and rested on her knees. I looked up at her now and watched as she cupped my face. "You can't hide me forever. Tomorrow is the opening. We'll all be there. Your family will see me. What if they tear us apart again?"

"I won't let that happen," I said and reached up to put a lock of hair behind her ear. Julianna lowered her head and pecked my lips. I pulled away to stare into her warm brown eyes. "I won't let anything or anyonegetbetween us ever again."

...

The morning of the opening, I wanted to meet up with Gabriella for one last visit before the afternoon. Since we stayed in the same building, we met up downstairs. None of our family members were up yet. Julianna barely kept her eyes open when I left, so I let her sleep.

It was only seven when I reached downstairs. The receptionist flashed a smile since there were barely people in the room. I looked around and noticed a woman had her back toward me. She must've been Gabriella, but I barely recognised her in a summer striped jumpsuit. When she turned, her hair flipped over her shoulder. She gave me a small smile as I approached her in a jean shorts and white shirt. Surprisingly, we both looked casual before the main event.