A Star has fallen

It was a night like any other. Just an ordinary Saturday night. But for some reason Molly found it hard to fall asleep. No matter how she tossed and turned would sleep take her, so she opted to get a glass of water instead. She sighed heavily and slowly rose out of bed, her swollen stomach making the task harder than usual. Carrying a child was no easy feat after all.

She waddled over to the kitchen, turning the lights on in the process. Her tired eyes scanned the fridge door, stopping on the ultrasound picture that had been taken at her 20 week check up. She smiled at the fond memory of when she had found out that she was expecting a little baby boy. Will he look like his father? She frowned when that thought crossed her mind.

I really should stop thinking about him she sighed and rubbed her bump gently. But deep down she knew she never could stop thinking about the father of her unborn child, her former lover. It gnawed at her, why had he left so suddenly and without a word to her or Kakyoin. Even his mother had been clueless about his whereabouts, which made Molly suspect that maybe, just maybe he didn't want to be found.

She grabbed a glass from the cupboard and filled it with cool water from the tap, taking a small sip to test the temperature. Perfect she thought and made her way back to the bedroom. She set the glass on her nightstand and slid back into her spot under the blanket. She was tired beyond belief, but with the baby kicking and restless legs it proved hard to fall asleep most nights. Oh, not to even mention the countless times she woke up because she had to go to the bathroom.

But now it seemed everything was calm, the baby in her belly perhaps slept too, and her feet too tired to put up a fight. Contently she drifted off, but alas nothing good can last, and she was soon woken up by an intense pressure in her lower abdomen. She quickly got up, but came to regret that as the pressure turned into pure pain. This can't be happening, it's too soon she thought in panic, she had to call Kakyoin.

She sat back down on the bed and grabbed the phone by her nightstand, quickly dialing Kakyoin's number that she had come to know by heart. Come on Kakyoin, pick up pick up pick up she chanted in her head, and after a few agonising beeps he picked up.

"Molly, are you aware of what time it is?" his sleepy voice grumbled on the other end of the line. She ignored him, and managed to groan out

"Kakyoin, the baby... I think the baby's coming"

A moment of silence. Then audible shuffling on the other end

"S-stay where you are, I'll be right there!" a very panicked Kakyoin exclaimed, then hung up. As if I could go anywhere she muttered to herself and very slowly walked to unlock her door, so Kakyoin could let himself in upon arrival. Ugh, I need to change out of my nightgown was her next thought, but she halted her movements when she felt something trickle down her thighs. Blood mixed with what she assumed was amniotic fluid.

Kakyoin hurry up was all she could think while she walked to the bathroom. Not even five minutes later the door flung open and Kakyoin announced his arrival. Not a minute too soon.

The 15 minute drive to the hospital was near unbearable for Molly, and she was extremely relieved when they arrived at the hospital. The labor ward had its own reception, and the nurses and midwives were quickly alerted to Molly's side. They were quickly informed that she was only 32 weeks into her pregnancy, and now that Molly thought about it she hadn't felt the baby move for quite a while. The midwives glanced at each other with a serious look, Molly didn't catch it but Kakyoin did. And he had a bad feeling.

When the midwives had failed to locate the baby's heartbeat it became painfully obvious that something was wrong. The doctor on call had made the decision to perform an emergency c-section, which Molly agreed to, and was hastily put to sleep. Kakyoin was left pacing outside the room nervously.

When Molly woke up she was no longer in the operating room, but a normal hospital room. She tried to sit up, but the dulled pain in her abdomen told her otherwise. She winced at the pain to which Kakyoin quickly stood up from his chair, and walked over to the bed.

"Molly please, you need to rest" he said softly and helped her into a sitting position.

"Don't worry, I will once I've seen my baby" she said with a tired smile.

"Where is he?" she asked while scanning the room, but no baby as far as she could tell. Kakyoin didn't say anything, but exited the room and re-entered a while later with the midwives in tow. One of them was carrying a teeny tiny bundle. She handed the bundle to Molly with a solemn look on her face. Molly cradled the bundle in her arms and looked at the tiny person. Even her stand, The Heart of Everything, materialised next to her to look at the little wonder.

"Oh he's so small, so beautiful..." She couldn't hold the tears back "My perfect little Joshua Kujo"

And her quiet tears turned into loud sobs, because she was aware. She was aware that her newborn son was not breathing, he had passed before even being born. Once she had calmed down a bit, she asked Kakyoin to take a picture. Just one picture so she could keep his memory with her. The bundle was then quietly and gently handed back to the midwife who took him away.

Kakyoin turned his attention to Molly, and sat down on the chair next to the bed. He took her hands in his and quietly spoke

"Molly, do you want me to call Jotaro?" he laid the question out carefully. Tears were still running down her face as she stared right in front of her.

"No, he doesn't have to know. But if you could call Holly I'd appreciate it" her voice was small, tired and oh so pained. Kakyoin softly squeezed her hands.

"Of course, I'll let her know" he said and cursed at himself for not knowing how to comfort her. Little did he know that there was nothing he could've done in that moment to make her feel better. But what pained him most was that, even when she had lost her own child, she still thought about Jotaro's feelings. She didn't want to worry him. And even though every fiber in his being told him to pick up a phone and call that goddamned Kujo bastard, he didn't. He just couldn't find himself to go against her wish.

And so it was to be, that Kujo Jotaro would not know he had a son, even if it was just for a brief moment.

At least for now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't feel like adding this scenario into my book, so I made a one shot of it instead. It sad, and it's supposed to be 😭