Chapter 9: Bring in the Reinforcements

With a sigh, I pulled open the fridge. The choices looked slim as I surveyed our food supply and decided what I could throw together for lunch. I felt like eating stir-fry, so I pulled out a package of chicken and some vegetables.

The door opened and closed as Steve entered the apartment.

"Well, something smells good," said a voice. But it wasn't Steve's.

I left the stove to look around the corner. "Tony?" I smiled and hugged him.

"Yeah, it's me," he said. As usual, he hid his emotions, but I could tell he was happy to see me again. "Be careful where you point that wooden spoon." He gestured to the utensil that I then waved in front of his nose.

"You be careful what you say while you're here," I threatened. "Are you staying for lunch?"

Steve looked at me gratefully for being flexible. "If we have enough food, yes. He's here to help with our time machine."

I gave Tony the side-eye before going back into the kitchen. He knew my look silently said, "So you decided to join after all?"

The two men made small-talk while I cooked. When I finally got lunch on the table, Tony had gotten the full tour of the apartment.

"Lunch!" I announced.

"Tony, can I get you anything to drink?" Steve asked. "We don't have much on hand, but I can make some iced tea and there's always water."

Tony waved his hands as he sat down at the table, "Water's fine, thanks."

I moved to grab a glass for him, but Steve came beside me and took the cup from my hands. "Go sit down," he said. "I'll get the drinks."

"Thank you," I touched his arm as I passed him and sat down next to Tony. "So, Tony, tell me what I missed these last few years."

"Well, my girls are great," at that point, Steve set down a glass of water for him. "Thanks, Cap." He took a sip. "Really, we were lucky. Morgan's just a great kid. You know, the other night she said she loved me three thousand and I just cracked up. I'd always hoped I'd have a family, but the one I got is beyond what I deserve."

Stark's eyes always lit up when he made a scientific discovery. I had worked with him long enough to know that trait, but a new kind of joy filled his face when he talked about his family. For someone who could never settle down and stay true to a woman, he had really changed. Who knew Tony Stark would turn out to be such a family man?

Between bites of food, we covered various topics that made it seem like old times. It was just the kind of refreshment Steve and I needed.

"Everything was delicious," Tony said as he stood in the open doorway. "I'd better get started on building that machine, but thanks again." With a wave and a smile, he disappeared down the hall.

I sighed when he left. What had happened in the last decade was unbelievable. As I washed the dishes, I realized again how devastating it all was. So many were gone.

"Lunch was great," Steve came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Thanks for taking in Tony so easily."

"Of course," I said, still mostly invested in my thoughts.

Steve took the clean dish from my hand and placed it in the dish drainer. "What's going on in that pretty head?" he turned me around and grabbed the hand towel. While examining my facial expression, he rubbed both of my hands in the towel to dry them.

I looked away from his gaze, ashamed of my emotions. Normally, I could contain or ignore them, but lately, it seemed that they were beyond my control.

"Hey," he placed a finger under my chin to force my eyes upward again. "Was it something that was said?"

I shook my head and took the towel from him, trying to stall from answering his question. "No," I hung the towel on the handlebar of the oven and walked away.

Escape wasn't as easy as I predicted since Steve's hand grabbed my arm. He spun me around as if we were dancing and pulled me close. As always, I welcomed his hugs. It was hard not to melt in them.

Steve had known me long enough to recognize that all he had to do was take me into his arms and wait until I finally cracked. It never took too long and resistance was futile. "I just . . . " I closed my eyes and leaned my head against his chest. "It felt like it did before all of this happened."

He rubbed my back gently and empathized, "I know. But we might have the chance to change everything. It can be like it was before, we can pull it off."

His optimism was always so contagious. All we could do was hope that he was right.