Chapter Six

"Charlee." My brother called from the front of the pack of boys. I pushed lightly through them making my way towards Reece. "There you are." He exclaimed. I nodded, pulling the leather jacket that hid my insecurities tightly to my body. "I would like to introduce you to my best friend," I was introduced at that point to Hudson, "Pierce."

I coughed on my own spit as his name left Reece's mouth. My head dropped at how much of a fool I was making of myself. I composed myself for a second and looked up at a face that I had already spent months mapping in my head. "Sorry," I pointed to my throat, "must be coming down with something. Nice to meet you."

"Nice jacket." I felt my heart flip in my chest as the words left his mouth. My cheeks flushed a bright shade of pink. I could feel the heat building.

"Stop flirting with my sister you fuck. I'm pretty sure Ally wouldn't like to hear about that." Reece joked with Pierce. Almost that instant a girl with bright blonde hair walked up behind Pierce wrapping her arms around him.

"Were you two talking about me?" Her lips kissed the cheek of the curly haired brunette boy that I had spent months mourning over.

I wanted nothing more than to remove myself from the situation I was standing in. My ears began blocking out the words that were leaving the mouths of the people around me. My eyes focused on the floor beneath my feet. I was doing everything in my power to hold in every feeling that I was having.

Thankfully Reece got me out of the situation by showing me around the school. In order for me to feel comfortable, I was placed in classes with him all day. We were given the same schedule for this semester, or until I left this family before then.

Being the new student wasn't easy. I had to stand up in every class room and introduce myself. It was honestly quite embarrassing. At least I was getting looks for being new and not for being covered in bruises and broken bones. This was clearly a step up from the stares I had been getting before.

I walked into the lunch room following behind my brother. It was as if I were his shadow. This was the period I was looking least forward too. Having to create conversations with people wasn't something I have ever excelled at, and I knew I wouldn't start excelling now. Not only did I not want to create conversations, I didn't want to be questioned either. I knew it was coming so I had been preparing myself all morning.

"Charlee, these are my closest friends. You should remember their faces from this morning." I smiled, taking a seat next to my brother hoping that I wasn't stealing someone's spot.

"We've been hearing about this sister for a week. Nice to meet you in a more normal setting than outside in a parking lot." A blond boy spoke, he looked like the girl who has stolen my place in Pierce's life. "I'm Grayson."

I looked at Grayson seeing two people approach from behind him. "Give the girl some space will you. Damn Gray. Stop drooling." I looked up to meet the blue eyes of the blonde girl who had everything I ever wanted. "Nice to meet you, I'm Ally. Sorry for the PDA this morning. Haven't seen this punk in a week." She touched Pierce's shoulder as they both sat down with their meals. "I see you've officially been introduced to my horny brother. Don't mind him."

Her brother rolled his eyes. You could tell it was that kind of relationship. One where they are constantly down each other's throats, picking on each other. I wanted to hate Ally but she was being so kind. I couldn't hate her and I couldn't hate Pierce either. There was no excusable reason to hate either of them.

I kept my glances at Pierce short. His royal blue football jersey pulled the blue in his eyes to shine. His attire was so different than what I knew. I just wanted to stare all day. I loved the openness he shared with everyone. It was much different than how closed off I had seen him with everyone else besides me.

"So Charlee, what's it like living with this idiot?" Pierce spoke. My eyes darting from the sandwich I held in my hands. Just hearing his voice made my heart beat faster.

"I showed up last night at like seven so I don't really know yet. Just wanted to settle into my room by myself really. Makes me miss my siblings though." My voice went quiet and my facial expression saddened. The whole table felt the tension I was putting off.

"How many siblings did you have?" Grayson chimed in and I could feel the bench beneath me shake as my brother kicked Grayson in the shin.

"Four." I smiled. "Ryatt, Ryder, Luca, and Lucy. Wow I haven't said their names in a very long time. Ryatt was my side kick. She was four when we were separated. Ryder was a year older than her and Luca and Lucy were the twins. They were about nine. Raised them all by myself so yeah I miss them a lot. I hope they all got away from my parents and are in good homes now."

My eyes looked in Pierce's direction to see his eyes fully focused on my every move. It was the look he used to give me in group from across the room. I could tell that he was feeling every emotion I was feeling. He didn't expect this and neither did I.

"You into any sports Charlee?" Ally's voice sounded cheerful as ever. She didn't even realize the intense stare her boyfriend was giving me. Her bubbly personality was definitely what made her who she was. I'm surprised she wasn't taken before he showed up. Maybe she was, I guess I didn't really know.

"Never had time for them. Do you do any?" Just her appearance showed she was a cheerleader. Nothing like the unstoppable cheerleader football player power couple. I still couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that Pierce played football. It was so not like how he used to be, or at least that's not who he portrayed to me.

I was right, she went on and on about cheering which I honestly didn't really care about. It was good to have a passion though. She made it clear that cheering was her passion. She lived and breathed it all day, every day.

Lunch felt never ending but it was nice to be around a group of peoplethat didn't hate me for once. The group made it feel like I actually belongedand there was no better feeling than that. Ally was trying to plan so much todo with me. She wanted to bring me under her wing and turn me into a mini her.It was never going to happen. But it made me feel good. Even if every time Iheard her speak or looked at her, it broke me a little inside.