Chapter Eleven

My parents were rushing around the house trying to get everything ready for the game. It was beautiful how much passion they had for their son's passion. It caused me to laugh at how frazzled the two of them got. While they ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, I sat in the living room waiting for the two of them.

When the both of them were ready they entered the living room in matching outfits. They had shirts that read Reece Leighton's mom and Reece Leighton's dad. They were in the school's color and font. It was adorable. But there I was standing out in Grayson's jersey. I didn't look like part of the family at all. At least I had the school spirit though.

Once they got themselves together and the car loaded with everything they needed, we made our way to the school. They were catching me up on everything football I needed to know. I knew nothing so the little lesson was helpful. I'd eventually catch on at some point. It didn't seem too difficult to understand.

By the time we made it to the game the bleachers were already filled with people. Just like Reece had his crew, his parents had theirs as well. A place was saved for them and I followed their every move.

As soon as I sat down I felt a tap on my shoulder. It caused me to turn around. I was greeted by two unfamiliar faces but I could guess on who they were. "I see you are wearing my son's football jersey." A wide smile appeared on the woman's face before me.

"Yeah." I smiled back at the woman. She was Ally and Grayson's mother. I assumed the person next to her was their father. They had matching shirts just like my parents. It gave it away. "He offered this morning at school."

"Fits you well young lady." Their father spoke entering the conversation.

"Thank you!" I said enthusiastically trying to feel like I fit in even if I didn't feel like I belonged.

Shortly after the conversation began the game started. It started with the national anthem which was sung by a fellow classmate. Her voice was powerful and moving. This school was full of very talented kids. I could tell in just a few days that it was that way. All the awards that lined the hallways proved it.

At the beginning of the game my eyes followed Pierce. No one else. My eyes followed his every move. I had his number ingrained into my brain. There was no way that I could miss anything that he did. As time passed in each quarter my focus shifted. We were down and it seemed like none of the player's heads were in the game. Even though I had never been into sports before watching this game gave me passion. I wanted to knock sense into them and make them play better. The crowd gave me this feeling, it was addicting.

My eyes began to focus on the name that was paired with my brothers. That person being Grayson's. He caught my attention with every single play that he made. I didn't mean to lose track of Pierce but he was having a shitty game. At least that's what I could hear from his parents that were sat in front of us.

As halftime approached I saw Ally motioning from the field for me to come down to the track. I excused myself from the clan of parents that I was surrounded by and made my way down. As the buzzer ending second quarter, signaling halftime, sounded she ran over to me.

"So what are your thoughts of a high school football game so far?" She was happier than I had ever seen her before. It didn't make sense when her boyfriend wasn't performing well.

"It's really fun. I didn't think I'd ever enjoy watching a sport. The crowd though, makes you want to be here."

"Loving the jersey." She pulled on the sleeve of Grayson's jersey. "Wearing the Coleman name fits you well Charlee."

Our conversation was interrupted when Pierce ran over. My eyes tried to hide the emotions that overwhelmed me every second he was around. He kissed Ally's cheek before running off to join his team as they headed to the locker room.