Chapter Thirty-Nine

I tried to walk with the help of Grayson but I couldn't even take a step without wanting to put my damaged foot down. "Charlee don't you dare." His eyes sent daggers through me.

"I'm trying. It's hard without my crutches." I groaned, staring at my foot hovering over the ground.

"I think you just want me to carry you." A small smirk slide to his lips but it was very halfhearted. I don't think he had any left in him to try and flirt.

"Maybe I do." I paused to take a second to look up at him. "And maybe I don't." The second half of my comment came out way less convincing than I wanted, needed it too.

"I think I should make you suffer." The smirk still played on his face becoming more convincing.

"Grayson." His name left my voice in a plead. I didn't want to ruin things even more.

He walked away leaving me at the doorway of the bathroom. I sighed and not knowing any other way to walk on my own, I dropped to my knees and began crawling. I heard Grayson's voice call for me from the direction I had just come from, where he disappeared from. My voice sounded by the front door as I sat waiting for him to return from whatever he left me to do.

"Try these." In his hands he held a little pair of crutches. Ones of my height. I smiled up at him and held my hands out for him to help me off the ground. He rested the crutches on the wall beside us and helped me to my feet. "Gosh, it's so cute to see you suffer."

"Excuse you!" I joked with him as I grabbed the crutches off the wall, placing all my weight onto them.

"I don't mean it like that!" A laugh left his mouth as he finished his sentence. I shook my head in response. He just smiled at me. "Are they good enough to at least just make it to your house?" I nodded my head as my eyes stared at the blue tape wrapped around the silver frame.

"Thanks Gray." I smiled up at the boy who looked at me like he was on cloud nine. I reached for the door handle but his hand beat me to it.

"No problem Charlee girl."

Grayson accompanied me home, not really knowing the destruction I felt behind. We followed my bloody footprints on the ground, each one causing Grayson to queze inside.

The both of us stood at the front door of my house. I didn't want to enter. I knew I had to, but I didn't want to. I wanted to turn around and hop onto the path I was headed before Grayson stopped me. I knew he wouldn't let me though.

Grayson held the door open for me, helping me inside. Even though he had no idea what he was walking into, he still stood by my side. My hops were short not just because I was avoiding the mess that laid inside this house, but because I was still getting used to hopping on these stupid crutches.

I looked over at the dining room table that still had all the contents of lunch on it. That was never like my mother to just let things sit there. I really had put a beating on destroying everyone inside these walls.

I heard voices from the living room so I hopped in to be met by a face I never expected my parents to call. When the person's eyes met mine I looked at the boy that still stood next to me. His fist had balled at his hips and he completely went cold.

"Charlee, we see you've decided to come back. I hope you have an apology ready." My mother stood with her hands on her hips. This might be the most upset I've ever seen her look. I didn't think she was ever capable of looking this way, but boy was I wrong.

"The only person I owe an apology to is Reece." I stood up straight, knowing that I was wrong to say those words.

"Excuse me?" Her arms went from her hips to crossing against her chest. I was pushing every button I shouldn't have been pushing. "You can give me your phone and go straight to your room with that attitude. And while you're at it, think about how you're treating this family Charlee."

"No." I felt Grayson place his hand on top of mine, causing the person in the room with my parents to stand up.

"Charlee we need to talk." The voice was soft, smooth, but overpoweringly demanding. Grayson stepped closer as the figure approached us. "Now." Harshness ate through that word.

"I have to apologize to my brother." I turned slowly, not by choice though.

I felt the hand of the person grab my shoulder. I shut my eyes knowing I wasn't getting out of this. I wasn't getting away from them. "You should leave Grayson."

"And leave her alone with you?" Grayson spit back. "Not a chance."

"Gray." I said quietly opening my eyes to glance in his direction. "Listen to him." I dropped my head to look at the floor again not wanting to see his disappointment.

"Char-"

"I'll text-" I paused remembering that my mother was going to take my phone away, "I'll see you Monday."