Ryan

Chapter sixteen: Ryan (Jacob's POV)

It was now ten pm. We all watched a bunch of movies and had another game night and we were now getting ready to go to our rooms where we would just do our own thing. "Night guys," Mads stood up with a sigh and went to her room. I stayed back and talked to Nick for a little bit while Julia walked Noah out. Nick and I were talking about middle school and freshman year when he brought it up. 

"You've been friends with Maddie for a while, right?" he asked. 

I cleared my throat, "Well, we sort of only got close before I left for New York but I've been hanging out with her forever," I answered truthfully. I've known her fourteen years and we've been friends for briefly two. 

"Yeah, especially lately," he nodded at me. 

"You have a girlfriend, so does Noah, and I unless I wanna third wheel with either one of you, that leaves Mads," I shrugged. 

"Us guys should hang out tomorrow, the girls can have their day as well," he suggested. 

"I've gotta go somewhere tomorrow," I lied. 

"Where?" 

Shit. 

"I'm looking for a summer job to get some money, so I thought I'd go to some places in town." I was planning to do that eventually anyway. 

"We'll come with," he offered. 

"Actually um- Madison's taking me." If she wasn't earlier she is now. "Maybe another day then." 

He looked at me suspiciously. "Maybe," I nodded, "Night," I stood up and went up to my room. 

On my way there, Riley called me into the kitchen. "Can you help me with these?" she pointed to the glasses we all had our drinks in.

"Sure," I grabbed one and began rinsing it. 

"I know what happened," she said quietly. 

I kinda froze and turned to her. "What're you talking about?" I asked in confusion. 

"I know she kissed you, don't play dumb. If you're gonna hide it from the others you have got to get better at it. Maddie did it just fine," she shrugged. "I'm not gonna tell him, just make sure you don't give it away." 

Alrighty. 

"Thanks," she took the glass back. "I'll just do it," she shrugged before I washed my hands and went up to my room in confusion. I stayed in my room, watching videos, using social media, staring at the ceiling, staring at the floor, lying upside down, doing god knows what all but I couldn't sleep. I glanced at the clock and it was just eleven-thirty. Everyone's in their rooms but no one is asleep yet. 

Should I risk going into Madison's room? 

Probably shouldn't but I will anyway. 

I got out of bed and slowly opened the door, tiptoeing out. I was almost there when I heard Nick's door open and I ran over to the stairs, pretending to go down to the kitchen. "What the hell are you doing?" Riley asked. I sighed in relief and turned back around. 

"It's just you, is he asleep?" I asked while placing my hand on my rapidly beating heart. 

"Almost, what're you doing?" she asked in confusion. 

"What're you doing?" I asked suspiciously. 

"Going to get water," she replied. "Just go," she shook her head and rolled her eyes.