Chapter 38

Hey guys! So this is the last chapter I'm caught up on. I'm not sure if I will be able to update tomorrow, it all depends if the urge to write hits me again. I have another story running through my head rn, so hopefully if I bust out a few chapters of that I'll get back to the HFR flow.

Don't forget to follow me on instagram if you want to live chat! Link is on my page

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 38

       "So, this guy is..." Rex asked, trying to sound casual as he leaned back on his couch, his TV remote resting uselessly in his hand. I know he wasn't planning on using it. He just needed an excuse not to clench his fist.

       "A friend from middle school. I didn't live in Jasper then, and he was really the only one that wanted to be friends with me."

       Which, by the way, none of that was a lie. Jax and I really did go to middle school together outside of Jasper, and he was the only one that wanted to be my friend. But I was a lot—different back then. Much less stable. People didn't like to be around me.

       Rex was silent a moment as he tossed the remote easily between his two hands. "So, you two weren't..." He paused, those dark eyes glancing anywhere but at me. "You two weren't like a thing, were you?" The cautious, uncertainty in his voice left me puzzled.

       I tilted my head to look at him from where I was sitting on the carpeted floor, a handful of textbooks scattered around me. The boys had left hours ago, leaving just Rex and I in his quiet apartment. It was Saturday night, and he was supposed to be helping me study for everything I was failing—which was more than I would have like—before we got sidetracked on the whole Jax thing again.

       "A thing?"

       He rolled those chestnut eyes. "Yeah, Roza. A thing. Like did you two ever date?" The words sounded hard, like he had to bite them out, and for his sake I tried not to let out how funny that question was.

       But I laughed anyways.

       "Oh God no. Jax is like a brother." I snickered and flipped through a couple more useless pages of my history book. "He helped me through a lot then." That was fine to admit, right? It's not like I told him exactly what Jax had to pull my sorry butt out of. I never wanted to think about some of that stuff again anyways.

       "Besides," I continued while still snickering. Rex's tense shoulders had eased some and he even stopped tossing the remote around. "I don't think he was in a girl phase then anyway."

       That grabbed his complete attention.

       "A what?" He asked incredulously and placed the remote down on the couch beside him as those eyes finally snapped to mine. I shot him a sheepish smile.

       "Um, yeah, a girl phase. Jax is bi'."

       It wasn't necessarily a secret. I mean, he didn't go around broadcasting to the world that he liked both genders, but he didn't hide it either. Jax always just said it was his business, but he didn't care who knew. He was never afraid of anything.

       Rex's gaze widened, and he leaned back in the couch with a shocked little 'huh'. "You guys go to the same gym together and you didn't know that?" I teased, even though I knew it wasn't something people usually brought up when they were fighting each other—like actual fighting I mean.