xv . The Stars Are Brighter From Afar

╔═══════════════╗

chapter fifteen.
( titan's curse )
❝ the stars are brighter from afar!

╚═══════════════╝

     The trip in Artemis's sleigh was dead silent. Sitting in the back with Percy and Annabeth, looking over Zoë and making sure she didn't die was possibly the worst thing I've experienced so far. Having to tap her and say, "Come on, Zoë, we're nearly there," without crying was tiring in itself when all I wanted to do was cry and mourn over Luke myself.

      Luke, who died.

      Luke, who fell and died.

      Luke, the person who found me in that alley way and took me under my wing.

      I had been mourning that Luke for a long time, and now he's truly gone.

      My legs and arms still ached. Breathing was hard, because, you know, as it would be from practically being crushed by the sky.

      We landed at Crissy Field well after nightfall. As soon as Doctor Chase stepped out of his biplane, Annabeth ran towards him and threw her arms around him. "Dad! You flew ... you shot ... oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

      Their little reunion was nice, but with Zoë dying in Artemis and Thalia's, it had to wait. Percy, Annabeth and I walked over to where they sat. I gripped Annabeth's hand, like I used to all those years ago, not sure on what was going to happen. We had no ambrosia or nectar, and no human medicine would work. Right now, I cursed the gods above that I didn't have my powers. I could heal her, I could heal her right now.

      "Can you heal her with magic?" Percy asked Artemis, who still looked very tearful.

      She looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."

      She tried to set her hand on Zoë's side, but the huntress grabbed it before she could. She looked into the goddesses eyes, and an understanding passed through them.

      "Have I ... have I served thee well?" Zoë whispered.

      "With great honour," said Artemis softly. "The finest of my attendants."

       Zoë's face relaxed. "Rest. At last."

      "I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."