xvi . Upon Thy Return

╔═══════════════╗

chapter sixteen.
(  the titan's curse  )
❝ upon thy return!

╚═══════════════╝

     I don't need your sympathy. I don't need people to tell me sorry that Luke had died. I also don't need people to tell me they're sorry that he's alive. As soon as I heard about it from Annabeth, I wanted to be angry at Percy for not telling me, but we were far from that. I didn't care about him not telling me, all I care is that Luke survived that fall. He survived. How in the gods did he do that? That was what I was worried about. I don't care about your sympathy. I don't care about Percy not telling me. I don't care about anything but that, because that was what should be on everybody's mind. Not 'I'm so sorry you have to deal with him still being alive'. No, grow up. Ask me, 'what could this mean?' and I'll pay attention to you.

     Because that was all that was on my mind the trip back to Camp. He died. I saw him die. I saw his body break. How did he survive?

     We made our way to the Big House, and we were greeted by Chiron and Hannah with hot chocolate and toasted cheese sandwiches. Hannah was angry, but she didn't say anything. I knew I was going to get a talking to, the: don't sneak onto a quest! but she was also a demigod, and she understood that if you know, you know; and if you think you should go, you go. Grover went off with the satyrs to discuss his finding son Pan and his 'Blessing from the Wild'. Annabeth, Percy and I followed Chiron and Hannah into the Big House and sat down at the pool table. Other campers were already there; Silena, Lee, the Stoll Brothers and even Clarisse, back from her 'secret scouting mission'.

     "I got news," she told us. "Bad news."

     "I'll fill you in later," Chiron said with forced cheerfulness. "The important thing is that you have prevailed! And you saved Annabeth!"

      Annabeth smiled.

     "Luke is alive," Percy then said. "Annabeth was right."

     He explained what his father told him about the Princess Andromeda, and I frowned. This was only the icing on the tip of the cake. Luke was indeed back, and I was scared and worried  as to how. "Well ..." I shifted in my seat awkwardly. "If the final battle does come when Percy is sixteen, we have some time to—like—figure things out, I guess..."

     Percy met my eyes. He didn't seem that happy, because he knew what I meant by figure things out. I looked away, unable to keep in his intense stare any longer.