010. the cost of the game

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
ten.『 cost of the game 』

𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐘, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀𝐁𝐋...

𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐘, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐄. Of course, she slipped every now and then, but to her surprise she was able to carry on, as she darted between trees, zig zagging to make sure none of them would be able to throw anything at her. She could hear the grunting and calls to her, the four, (or was it five?) tribute racing after her. There was no doubt in her mind that these were the careers. But she was bound to get tired at some point, especially when she wasn't used to running.

Her chest heaved as she ran, carrying her knife tightly in her hand although it wouldn't be much use against the five of them. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she could hear the blood pumping in her ears which for the most part drowned out the sound of her pursuers. Her mouth was dry but she had no time to stop and swallow, unless she was able to find a good hiding place. But there were none here. Not in this area at least.

She just had to outrun them, perhaps tire them out, but the chase would never really be over. It was a horrible thought, but once all this was done and if she was alive, wouldn't she just have to fight again for her life against other tributes hiding in the swampy arena? She wouldn't ever escape this without killing someone, would she?

Was that the cost of this game? Loss of innocence? If so, she didn't want to do this. So why did she keep running and not just end it? Stop before things got worse?

The horrible thoughts clouded her mind, and no matter what, she kept on running.

And she was fast.

The only problem.

They were fast too.

And she was getting tired.

She couldn't tell if they were as well, but that's the only thought that registered in her mind. Her legs, begging her to stop as she pushed forward, calves burning with the effort to keep up with her mind. Her lungs squeezing in her chest, telling her to stop and breath. Her heart pounding as she played the game of cat and mouse. Or a lamb running from a pack of hunger wolves.

There was no way she could outrun them. But this couldn't be it, could it? Her sister had said that this wouldn't be it. That she would come back and thats all Indie wanted. To go back home and get out of this hellish nightmare.