6) Natural strength

Cal

"You can do something extraordinary, and something that a lot of people can't do

"You can do something extraordinary, and something that a lot of people can't do. And if you have the opportunity to work on your gifts, it seems like a crime not to. I mean, it's just weakness to quit because something becomes too hard..."

- Morgan Matson, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

"There are two stages of training. The first is physical." Four explained to us as we stand in a group in front of him. "Push your bodies to the breaking point and you'll master the methods of combat." He adds and I glanced at Eric who was sitting on a piece of concrete behind him. He was staring right at me.

"The second is mental. Again, breaking point. You'll face your worst fears and conquer them unless they get you first." Four said and I looked back at him. "You'll be trained separately from the Dauntless-born, but you'll be ranked together."

"After initiations, rankings will determine what jobs you move into. Leadership, guarding the fence, or keeping the Factionless from killing each other." He finished off and Eric stood up.

"The rankings will also determine who gets cut." Eric added and I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. "Cut?" Will asked from next to me. "At the end of each stage of training, the lowest-ranking Initiates will be leaving us." Eric answered. "To do what?" I asked him wanting to know. "There's no going home to your families, so you'd live factionless." He answered and I stared off into the ground.

I'm not surprised, but I'm not happy either.

Statistically, I can make it in rankings if I fight for the middle spot, but remembering what Eric told me. They will be out to get me.

"Why didn't we know that?" Will questioned a bit upset. "It's a new rule." Eric answered with a smug look. "A new rule? Somebody should have told us that." Christina pointed out. "Why? Would you have chosen differently? Out of fear?" He asked, testing her. "I mean, if that's the case, you might as well get out now. If you're really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail." He adds. "Now you chose us."

"Now we get to choose you." He finished off and gave me a subtle wink. I uncomfortably shifted my feet and looked away from him, what's his deal?

I just hope training doesn't kill me.

~~~

Concentrate, just take a breath and aim at the target.

I pull the trigger and it hits the dummy, I looked at it surprised and a small smile appears on my face.