Seven - Sophie

Sophie was mortified the second she stepped into Elwin's office.

His desk was cluttered feet high with vials of varying colors and sizes. Not to mention the conflicting smells. Shelves were full of overflowing books, elixirs, and remedies for who knew what.

Biana immediately sat her down in Elwin's desk chair and retrieved a bag from somewhere within the layers of her fancy dress. She pulled out makeup, hair brushes, and countless other girly things Sophie would've preferred to never use.

But she tried not to complain as Biana set to work detangling her hair and styling it. She pulled it back in an extravagant braided updo, placing jeweled combs throughout. It was much to sparkly for Sophie's taste.

Biana spent countless minutes doing Sophie's makeup—eyeshadow, mascara, and blush. When she handed Sophie a Hand mirror, she could hardly recognize herself in the shimmering reflection.

To finish it off, Biana gave Sophie a fresh tunic to wear—seriously, where was she storing all this stuff? It was exactly the kind of thing Sophie didn't like to wear—fitted, bright, and red.

Sophie tried to talk her way out of it, but Biana insisted. Plus, the tunic Sophie currently wore was days old and wrinkled. So she grudgingly slipped it on, immediately despising the bright color.

She much preferred dull, simple clothing.

Once Biana was finished, she squealed with delight. "You look so pretty!"

"Thanks," Sophie mumbled, wishing she could have her simple white tunic back.

Biana and Sophie returned to the main room to find two boys gaping at her.

Biana crossed her arms smugly. "Told you," she whispered.

"Sophie," Fitz said, "you look . . ."

"Beautiful," Keefe finished, and Sophie's heart suddenly turned to flutter mode. Except this time, it wasn't for Fitz.

When she met Keefe's eyes, she felt her face turn the same color as her tunic. The way his expression softened when he gazed at her made her heart melt.

"Thank you," Sophie said, not sure which boy she was thanking—she hoped Keefe.

The sound of thudding footsteps echoed down the hall, and the four of them immediately snapped their eyes to the door.

Sophie's heartbeat picked up, thumping so hard it made her feel sick.

It burst open, revealing four very familiar faces. Bronte, Stina, Dex, and Wylie. The rest of Team Valiant had arrived. Plus a councilor.

They each wore capes and fancy apparel. Stina's mass of curly hair bounced as she stumbled in. Dex's hair was styled just the way that Biana had once done for him at their sleepover. Wylie looked regal in his golden jerkin, his dark blue eyes striking. Bronte was, well . . . Bronte. Pointy-eared as always.

When Sophie saw their identical terrified expressions, she knew instinctively that something was horribly wrong.

Bronte looked like he was about to announce something, but stopped dead when he saw Keefe, up and awake.

The next few moments were a blur of hugs and tears from friends (in which Bronte did not participate).

Sophie couldn't focus, couldn't push aside how scared they had all looked seconds earlier. She anxiously waited for the heartfelt exchanges to end. When Keefe had finally answered the countless questions and hugged his friends, Sophie turned to Bronte. Her pulse was thrumming in her veins; she needed to get information before her heart exploded.

"What's wrong?" She demanded.

Bronte recoiled against the wall. "Are you sure you can handle it, Miss Foster?"

Sophie glanced at Keefe, then at her other friends. "Yes," she said firmly.

Bronte sighed and rubbed his temples like he had a throbbing headache. "I'm afraid Councilor Oralie has disappeared."