Chapter 7 - A Second Chance

Note: Sorry for missing an update last week! Was really busy with work. And am working night shifts now so am like tired all the time. To Inkitt people reading this, sorry for not being able to update on Inkitt as well. Same reason. :(

For those here on Wattpad, if you want to read more chapters and can't wait, there's 20+ chapters up on Inkitt.

CHAPTER 7- A SECOND CHANCE

The Amphitheatre of Souls
The Underworld

-Hades-

The power to give back life was taken away from me by the Olympians centuries ago. But I had one more ace up my sleeve: the power to wind back time. It was Cronus' blood that I was able to obtain before he died. No one knew about this and I've kept it for such a long time... waiting for the right moment.

My queen and I... we weren't supposed to meet like this. Just last night, Leandro told me all about the changes in the mortal world. We discussed technology and trends. Leandro even researched the school she was in and how I can be registered as a transfer student.

But all that went down the drain when I saw her walk towards the judges. She was shivering and she looked so confused and fragile. Seeing her like that made me feel like my heart was suddenly ripped out from my chest.

I lifted the shade of my queen closer. With my right hand, I retrieved the necklace I always wore from under my shirt which contained the blood of Cronus. I dropped it on the floor and with the heel of my boot, I smashed it into pieces. I extended my hand over it to absorb its power. It coursed through my body like adrenaline.

For a brief moment, it was as if everything stopped. No shades howled in the distance. The dirt which was swirling around us floated in the air as if frozen.

Then, like a movie on rewind, everything started going backwards.

-♔-

Beside the Pool
The Student Council President's House
New York City
Three Hours Earlier...

-Hades-

I stood behind a tree cloaked in shadows.

My fists were clenched at my side as I heard all the taunts and insults thrown towards my queen. I've never felt so helpless in all of my existence. With one wave of my hand, these cruel mortals could all be dead but that would cause a lot of problems for me from Zeus and the Olympians.

"They will pay," I vowed through gritted teeth.

I saw her get thrown to the pool by a bunch of men who laughed as they did it. This galvanized me into action. I dropped the shadows cloaking me and ran towards the pool. Suddenly, someone blocked my way.

"Move," I hissed.

"It's a just a prank, dude. She'll swim right up."

From the corner of my eye, I saw my queen thrashing. She was fighting for her life as people all around her laughed and mocked her inability to swim. Without another word, I pushed the boy to the side. One of his friends took his place and blocked my path again.

"What was that for and who the hell are you?"

Furious about the delay, I summoned my power and cloaked them all in shadows. It rendered them immobile. For them, it would seem that time stopped as they were cocooned in the darkness.

I jumped in the pool and swam as fast as I could. I reached for her and my heart stopped when I realized she wasn't struggling anymore. I lifted her head above the water but didn't hear her intake of breath or see her coughing out all the water in her lungs. As fast as I could, I swam to the shallow end of the pool with the ladder.