Chapter Seven

Rose took a deep breath as she gathered her courage. It was finally time for Josiah's ball, and she was not looking forward to it. She knew everyone pitied her marital situation, or lack there of, and she hated the cat-like smiles and false words of sympathy. They all talked about her behind her back. All those people crowded in with their judging stares was enough to intimidate the strongest of people, and Rose had to face Josiah as well. It was painful to look at him but not being able to hold him like she craved.

Her dress was extravagant and beautiful, a deep emerald green in colour to match her eyes, with a full satin skirt that squished as she walked. The bodice was patterned with small gold and pink flowers, and her corset was done up so tight her waist was minuscule. A heart-shaped neckline and off the shoulder long, floaty sleeves flattered her chest and made her pale skin glow under the soft candle light. A heavy emerald necklace was draped around her neck and dropped into her cleavage, shining enchantingly and matching the ornate earrings pinned in her ears. Her tiara was gold and had the finest emeralds and diamonds encased in it, highlighting her lovely golden hair that was braided at the top and fell in gentle waves down to her waist. Soft makeup had enhanced her features, and the maids cooed over her appearance, telling her she looked enchanting, but Rose was not sure she believed them. The dress was beautiful, sure, but she could not see beauty in herself.

Rose kept thinking back to Romi whom she did not expect to spend time with ever again. Their argument was embarrassing and made her want to hide from him. It was unfortunate and she felt an underlying sense of sadness as she had grown used to his company, and was awake for most of the previous night just thinking about him. However, she had stormed away from him dramatically and probably ruined all chance of a friendship between them both.

"Are you ready Rosilabeth?" Aurora called out.

"Y-yes, of course." Rose nodded as she turned her attention back to her imminent arrival in the ballroom.

She was to enter behind Aurora and her family, embarrassingly alone as usual. Aurora and Theodosius were matching in navy blue outfits, and were a beautiful couple as usual. Both of them attracted unending amounts of attention and envy because of their good looks and power. Their twins Maxim and Magdalena looked adorable in formal wear matching their parents too. Nijah, Henri and their family were at the front preparing to enter first, then it was Aurora and Theodosius, then Rose, then Nijah's mother. Nijah's sisters were not to enter with the Royal party, which Rose found strange, but things were done differently in Aubriemia to Yemini.

A dull chatter and tinkling music could be heard on the other side of the great oak doors, concealing the ballroom. A flurry of nerves threatened to hold Rose captive as the King and Queen instructed for the doors to be opened, but she held her head high as the distant sound was unblocked and the guests started clapping for their arrival.

One by one, each family entered regally into the room, welcomed by polite applause. The ballroom was a glittering gold, from the reflective floors to the huge window frames stretching up to the high ornately carved ceilings. Each attendee was dressed to impress, and Rose smiled at her maid Loretta who was stood with her husband on the side-lines. Nijah and Henri always invited their staff to attend dances and balls as a way of thanks for all of their hard work.

Rose made her way up to the platform for the Royal Family. She could sit on one of the golden benches and hopefully be left alone all night. There was entertainment and food for the children whilst the adults dined, drank and danced separately. Even the children were dressed in the finest frocks and suits trying to outdo everyone else, matching their parents flaunting their jewels and wealth. Rose noticed men following her with their eyes, probably hoping for a dance. She was planning to stay out of everyone's way though, as she did not want to dance with anyone. Well, no one in the ballroom anyway.