Prologue

C/N— country's name
All names and references are completely unrelated to real life, and if so, please let me know if you're uncomfortable so I may change it.

The morning was clear, just as it was cold, the wind harsher than most mornings like a warning to those who would perceive it as such.

Despite its clearness, children didn't roam the streets as usual, making the more than eery scene extraordinarily quiet. The only sound resonating in her ears was the crunch of her black boots on the frost. She felt black was best for the occasion, due to its air of professionalism she was hoping to present.

All the training, the work, the sacrifices, they lead to this. The trial day at Waysworth, the most elite school in C/N. It was said to aspire many and the woman herself, 23, a young age to be applying for a teacher job, wanted to inspire. Ever since childhood she'd been inspired by her mentor, now recently passed, who would spend everyday trying to perfect an education for everyone, despite their backgrounds, for if they were like Y/N, not very rich.

*time skip brought to you by Y/N's inner monologues we can't be bothered to read about and end up skipping*
___________________

She couldn't deny it was a long walk, but it was refreshing. Already, her cheeks and nose were pink with the journey's less than welcoming weather. She depicted a crowd standing in front of the gates, their atmosphere yearning to get in. Inquisitively, Y/N approached.

They all faired decently young faces, but not young enough for the E/C hued woman to think them students, no, their age range seemed about 20–38, perhaps.

"Excuse me?" Y/N felt a tap at her shoulder. A timid young man who seemed no older than herself but definitely much shorter stared up at her. She decided she liked him, cracked a smile.

"Hello. I'm Y/N L/N. Are you also here concerning the spaces to teacher this coming year?" If this was her first impression, she faired well.

"Y-yes. Barney Grace." He introduced, "Though to be honest, I'm quite nervous. I heard they're ravenous towards new teachers."

Y/N scoffed at Barney's cute worry. "I doubt th—."

"Barney! I've been looking for you everywhere." A lively woman approached the pair, eyeing Y/N as if she was bothering her friend.

"A-ah yes! Sylvia, this is Y/N. We just met. Y/N, this is my friend, Sylvia. We decided applying for the same job would be fun."

"That's great! Nice to meet you, Sylvia, but I hope they let us in soon," Y/N politely remarked. They were her competitors, however nice.

Sylvia smiled. "Thank you. You do seem nice."

The clunk interrupted what would have been a conversation between the three, as they turned to see the gates open. A glowing light emerged, as if the sun had risen twice.
"I never knew it was this fancy—!"

A young man, handsome at that, with closely cropped dark hair and eyes, flawless skin and grin, the sun behind the boy bounced off his hair like a crown. He cleared his throat and the whole clearing went silent, clinging onto his every honey dipped words to come. Barney nudged Y/N, as he too was mesmerised.

The boy smiled, close mouthed.
"Good morning, my name is Marius York, the current and leading member of the student council, whose position is worthy of your own, should you succeed. I'm here to welcome you to Waysworth Prep, and thank you for coming today. You all are among the lucky few we picked not just from your applications, but abilities to work with others and reviews and tests results we have discovered about each and every one of you." He darted his glance around, before settling on Y/N, lazily but alert, if such a look was possible. He liked what he saw. "Today, out of the 58 of you, we, the student council and some current faculty, will be picking 5 new members that will have the honour to join us." He paused, licked his lips, glance still steadily in Y/N's direction. When she looked away he did too.

"Now, we're not here to embarrass you, and vice versa, if you are professional, then we are too. Each one of you will be assigned to a class, depending on the subject you will be teaching, with a specific person undercover, who will record your process. I wish all of you the best of luck. Thank you."

Despite finished speaking, he still stood there, expecting something. As the no one else in the clearing and obviously thought he was done, Y/N slowly brought her hands together—once, twice, until it was clapping. The rest joined in as Marius sent an appreciative look, dark eyes boring into E/C.

___________________

"Good morning, everyone." She felt expectant eyes upon her. "Today, I am your acting English teacher (sorry if you hate English, it's the only subject that has a lot of mandatory lessons—I think), Miss L/N."

So she isn't married. He chuckled to himself. A given, I suppose. She's young. Marius looked through the files he was given. He had to admit, out of all of the candidates, this woman caught his interest the most; young; from poorer backgrounds than most who managed to claw her way into his world. Too bad this Y/N wasn't under his control, like the school was.

He listened to her every word, even as the lesson drew to a close. The lesson was the examination of Shakespeare's work. He liked that. He wanted what he liked, and he got what he wanted. Marius ticked everything on the sheet.
____________________

Y/N was heading home, arms linked between Barney's and Sylie's (she insisted on the name) after they exchanged numbers and became closely aquatinted. "I have a good feeling we'll all be chosen."
She grinned.
"I liked that Marius!" Sylie suddenly exclaimed.
"What? He was scary. There's something about him." Barney said, trembling. "He was glaring at me during my examination."
Y/N waved him off.
"I agree with Sylie," Y/N interjected, "He seems like a hard worker, who will strive for whatever he wants."

Their giggles died into the distance.
"DRINKS ON ME!"
____________________

A boy touched her figure on the window, stroking her H/C tresses, she stalked out of sight. The moor was misty, and her presence was dimmed by it, but he could feel it. ("DRINKS ON ME!")

He gestured to Jack, a frizzy blond haired boy who had gracefulness and elegance, despite his ragged appearance. He was also on the student council. "Find Y/N L/N's application and send the email open on my computer."

Oh, how fun the coming year would be.

God that was a long prologue.
Thoughts