Twenty three

Everything was a bit more organised once Tony had turned up. There was a sense of action, that they were really doing this. Emil could feel it and he could barely stop bouncing. There was a jitter in his veins, half hope and excitement, half anxiety and panic. They had a chance. He had a chance. It was slim and barely more than a glimmer, a half lit spark at best. But that was the best spark of seeing Peter again. Of seeing his dad, May, Shuri, T'Challa, Ned, MJ, Sam, Wanda. It was a chance of seeing them come back.

The first thing they did was call everyone. They were unable to reach Carol, but Nebula and Rocket replied. Rhodes responded as well, but Okyote was stuck in Wakanda. She was the best they had at leading he country now, she had other things to attend to. But she offered to lend a hand if they needed it. Natasha had left to Japan to find Clint. She had insisted on going on her own and they trusted her to bring Hawkeye back. If there was a man who wanted a shot at this, it would be him.

Emil was sat out on the green outside with Scott. They were on a stone bench leaning against the walls of the building and looking out across the grass towards the glimmer of the sea. The man was trying to eat his tacos under the bright sun. Emil glanced at him and the man paused with the tack raised halfway to his mouth. His face was contorted in a ridiculous expression.

"What?" He asked. Emil shrugged and looked away. Scott sighed and put his taco back in it's wrapper. He looked Emil up and down, brows furrowing as the fully took Emil's appearance in. "Look kid. How old are you?"

Emil shrugged again. "I don't really know. I'd guess about seventeen or eighteen".

"How do you not know your age?" Scott asked dubiously. Emil gave him a look and he blinked in comprehension. "Oh yeah. Child assassin. I remember. But, shouldn't you be older. The last time I saw you, you were around fourteen and that was years ago. Add the five years I missed, then you should be in your early twenties". Scott looked Emil over. "Twenty one or two", he guessed. "But you still look the same, apart from the hair cut". He pointed at Emil's head. Emil raised an eyebrow at him.

"Well I lost a few years too", he muttered. Scot patted him on the shoulder consolingly.

"I'm sorry kid".

The conversation faltered off into awkward silence.mScott raised the taco back up to take a bite. He was interrupted by the roar of an engine from above as a dark shape glided over the building. Emil stood up eagerly as a familiar spaceship lowered on to the grass. The wind from the boosters blew all of the filling from Scott's taco, tugging at Emil's clothes and making his eyes water. Scott looked at the empty shell sadly.

"Nebula, rocket!" Emil waved as the landing doors opened. Nebula, in all her blue skin glory, sauntered out. Her face did not smile upon seeing Emil, but there was something in her black gaze which was fond. Behind her, Rocket was stood on the ramp. He waved his paw at Emil in greeting.

Scott stared as Nebula walked past. Emil kept pace with her as they headed inside.  She barely glanced at Scott's wide eyed face. "Rhodes", she said into her wrist com. "Be careful upon re-entry. There's a idiot in the landing zone". Emil snorted at her deadpan tone.

"I missed you", he stated. "No one does sarcasm as good as you". He fell into step beside her as a whoosh signalled Rhodes' entry above.

There was a metallic thump as Rhodes landed on to concrete behind them. Emil turned around and smiled at him. "Evening regular sized man", Rhodes grinned at Scott as he walked past. He caught up with Nebula and Emil, metal suit clanking as he walked.

"Hey Emil, how are you?" Rhodes asked. He and Emil fist bumped and the man threw an arm around the teen's shoulders. "Back from space I see".

"Yeah been back about a week", Emil replied as they entered the building. The group walked through the building to the office rooms and lounge where Tony and Steve were waiting. They passed Bruce on the way. The green giant handed Nebula and Rhodes a taco each before going out to meet Rocket. Emil crunched in his hungrily.