XI.

I was not expecting this many cameras, I was almost blinded by the bright lights flashing back to back

Kilante's hand on my side, gripping onto me firm. My head rested on his chest as we posed for the cameras. Now, after all this I probably would still have to play as his wife, where were these pictures going. It was an elite type of event, sure it was a dinner party but exchanges will be made after.

And word does travel fast so I could only imagine where my face would be plastered. Killa was a billionaire, who is still in his prime. I'd never seen or felt anything like this before, and even though we weren't married I was going to take full advantage of this opportunity.

I'll win him over just to go back to my normal life. Or maybe create my own life without him. My plan back home was to save enough money, take it to California and pursue my acting career.

I never thought much about it but women like Angela Bassett, Viola Davis, and Taraji P. Henson have inspired me over the years. Strong black women that took their roles and made you fall in love with their character.

That's what I aspired to be. I wanted to not only be an actress but a movie director but I wasn't ready for all that responsibility.

Kilante looked down at me and smiled, pressing his lips against my cheek making me laugh. It was awkward and the tingly sensation in my chest was more than enough.

And I still wasn't too fond of him, but he knew what he was doing.

Things slowed down and I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Kilante kept me on his waist and looked over to me with a smile. "You'd make a good wife, handled yourself with grace back there,"

"Oh, whatever," I smacked my lips at him. "And you don't know who could be listening, reporters hide around for a story like this. Keep your lips sealed,"

"Yes ma'am," he nodded his head and brought me into a dining room, it was filled with people. This room alone was the size of the club I used to work at. All the seats were filled, an orchestra playing soft melodies as Kilante gripped my small hand into his.

He had led me to a table, a large circle that was in the middle of the crowd. He told me this is where all the money gets made. This was an event for Kings and Queens in the money game, this was like chess for him.

I knew drugs were involved but these used code words like diamonds and pearls, hence his connection to a jewelry store. That woman, Rahel that greeted us earlier was in a seat next to us. With a man, who I assumed was her husband but I wasn't too sure.

"Glad you two could make it, Iris you look beautiful," she nodded her head as Kilante pulled a chair out for me.

"Thank you," I smiled and placed my hands underneath my dress before sitting down. I turned to Kilante who looked over at me with his bottom lip between his teeth.

"Stop looking at me like that," I made my eyes wide and looked down, blushing like a school girl.

"Can't help it," I heard him chuckle, he lifted a champagne bottle from the table and popped open the top, letting the gold colored liquid fill his cup. "Did you want some baby?"

"Yeah, you can pour me some," I nodded up at him.

"You guys are so good together, how long have the two of you been married?" Another woman at the table asked and of course I answered.

"It's been a little over two years," I smiled up at the lady. "I really do love this man, he's like my best friend,"

Kilante didn't want anyone under the impression that he was too dominant. Some men didn't let their woman speak but he felt the need to be fair, treat me like a human rather than a item.

"It's beautiful," she nodded her head, a guy next to her began to glare at her and the smile she once wore was now gone.

I can see what he meant. He wanted us to be a black power couple, in other words a force to be reckoned with. He felt that he'd have more power this way and of course that's all he cared about, not me or anybody else, but himself and his image.

I didn't blame him. Just hated the fact that I had to be caught up in all this, hopefully I'm never apart of the behind the scenes work.

Why do I have to put my life on pause for someone else? I just prayed to God hoping this was all a blessing in disguise. He wouldn't put me through any of this for no reason.

"So, Mr. King we have a few things we want you to take a look at," the lady pulled out a black book from her lap, sliding it across the table to us.

He took a sip from him his glass and sat it down. He picked up the booklet, it was too complex for me to comprehend but I tried not to do too much critical thinking.

I knew it didn't involve me but I was nosy. He looked over to me and twisted his lips, closing the book between him thumb. "What you think mamas? We can go half on a cruise line or take 25% of a jewelry store, where yo' head at?"

This was not apart of the rehearsal, I wasn't expecting this but I had to play my role. He was going to end up doing what he wanted to do and I guess he really wanted to see where my head was.

I sat back and pondered, resting my elbow on his shoulder looking at him. "Well, investing in a jewelry store could have its perks, I feel like we should invest in the cruise line. People travel more than they buy jewelry, open kiosks for the clothing line, I feel like that 50% can go a long way. And that way it's easier to do what we need to do. Also to make sure our product is brought in without any suspicion," I whispered that last part into his ear.

He rubbed his hand against my thigh and kissed my forehead. "We'll think about it," he nodded his head and handed Rahel her booklet.

"First thing in the morning." He smirked at her and tugged my hand lightly and nodded his head. "You ready to go?"

"We just got here," I scrunched my eyebrows together. "Ready to go already?"

"I only came to discuss business mama. Must wanna stay or something?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I could've stayed home had I known we were just gonna be here for two minutes, Kilante," I huffed and got up from the table.

"You all have a great night," he fixed his tux and waved to everyone at the table.

-

Sorry these chapters are so short 🤣 over time it'll get longer.

Anyways go subscribe to my YT Divine Brujita 🥰 and follow my ig @divinebrujita

I may work on this book more just so I can get back into the habit of writing. So expect updates for this story 🙃

Love y'all 💕😌