Chapter 12

The casino was hard to miss compared to the other spots around, It had one of those signs that had the killer watt lights which kept on flashing every second. It was huge. We reached the entrance and I strained to see through the heavily tinted windows. Nothing.

"Lils, I don't know if I'll get in. I'm not even twenty-one yet," I said in a hushed tone. Even though there was a three-year gap between us due to growing up with one another, it never felt that way. Lily and I had met at a playdate. At the same time, we met Chase. The three of us became inseparable five-year-olds. Of course, as time went on and we had our own paths in life we got separated but we always managed to find our way back.

"Follow my lead," she stated through clenched teeth, distracting my thoughts. She was in front of me with a huge smile on her face as she watched the bouncer at the door.

"Ladies," the bouncer stated in greeting. He was huge and looked like he meant business dressed in an expensive suit attire, "Can I see some identification?"

"Here's mine," Lily purred handing the bouncer her ID, "my friend here isn't from around these parts and she actually forgot her passport in her hotel room. I don't know why she's so forgetful. But anyway we were hoping you'd let it slide and let us in? We'd really appreciate it. Promise next time, and I'm sure we'll be coming another time, that she'll bring it. Please, please, please."

The bouncer seemed to actually consider what she was saying and if I was anyone else I would have been flabbergasted at how well Lily put on a show. But I knew she could measle her way into anything.

"You don't have any form of identification miss?" He turned to ask me. I was about to answer him when Lily once again interjected.

"She's French, can't understand any, uh, English," Lily said smoothly.

"Oh, où est votre carte d'identité?" The bounced directed to me and I was pretty sure all the color drained from my face. Lily looked at me with panic, realizing her mistake. She screwed up.

"I, uh," I began, sweat trickling down the nape of my neck. My hands clammed up as I fumbled to wipe them against my jeans. I was panicking and when I panic my brain shuts off. I don't think before I speak. A terrible, terrible trait. "Voulez vous coucher avec moi, uh, ce soir?"

What did I just say?

What did I really just say?

"What the hell did you just say?" Lily seethed next to me. Yes, Lily, I've already established I said what I really shouldn't have said. There was no point in trying to do damage control. It would lead to nowhere. I had just ruined our only chances.

"Did you just quote that song by Labelle?" The bouncer asked in disbelief, his lips thinned until they were almost nonexistent. Heck, I couldn't even comprehend that that had just come out my mouth until it was already out there. I would have done anything to be buried in a hole. Buy me a casket. Wear black. Welcome to my funeral.

His eyes narrowed as he cracked the knuckles on each of his hands. Uh oh. He was mad. It didn't look promising for Lily and me. We synchronously glanced nervously at one another then took a step back away from him as he approached closer to us. "We get it, big guy we really do, we'll just be out here. Maybe another day." Lily's voice was squeaky. So unlike her.

"They're with me Jasper," a male voice came from directly behind us. I turned to look at the source. A guy who looked no older than maybe three or four years to me smiled at us. He was dressed in a rich grey suit, similar to the bouncer's but you could tell it was of higher quality. He was handsome and you could just tell he exuded confidence. Everything about him screamed he was wealthy. But there was no way we would get in even with his charm, he probably just turned twenty-four or five. Still a kid. Dressed in a suit though, it was an interesting picture to look at. Well compared to the bouncer who had crow's feet at the corner of his eyes.

"Of course Mr. Bane," The bouncer bowed his head ever so slightly as he pushed open the door. I'm pretty sure my mouth was hanging to the floor. A fly could have flown right into it and made a home at that second. Then it clicked. This was the same Luca Bane Lily had told me about at the party. Seeing him in this attire almost made him unrecognizable.

With his hand resting on the small of my back, he pushed me gently forward towards the door. That was good, it was unlikely I could make myself walk anyway. Lily walked in front, unbothered as usual. As if what just happened was just another normal encounter

"Next time don't let your friend say you're french when you have no idea of the language, ma beauté."

I gulped, heat rushing to me everywhere. This man was intimidating.

We entered the main lobby and I let my eyes trail in awe. The casino was huge. There were probably at least two hundred slot machines lined up one next to the other. Shining colorful lights, trying hard to grasp the attention of the unfortunate souls who risked their savings to win and more than likely lose. The ambiance was dark and dimmed throughout the room, giving the place a heavy sensual vibe. Several men were loosely placed around blackjack tables as dealers stood with blank expressions, secretly tricking the money out of the poor bastards.

Lily looked like we just walked into the adult version of a candy shop.

"This place is amazing," She gasped, spinning around to look at every direction of the vast room. Luca chuckled.

"Somewhat," he commented then directed to me, "My name is Luca Bane."

"Wynter," I replied, shaking his hand. His grip was so firm I stumbled a smidge forward. Thankfully not noticeably, "and this is my friend Lily. I remember seeing you at Angelique's party the other night."

He pondered for a moment, rubbing his thumb on his chin, "Hmm...oh wait a minute, aren't you the girl who almost passed out."

I cringed, my face immediately heating up.

"Wasn't her." Lily butted in, saving me.

"Let me get you two some drinks. What would you like?" He offered, changing the subject as we headed to the bar.

I ended opting for club soda while Lilly already started guzzling down her Long Island Iced Tea. The amount of drinking I partaken in in the past week had been too much. I remembered her telling me a while before that it had five different types of alcohol mixed in one sixteen-ounce glass. We had been at a party and that same night she was drinking her discovery. More like four glasses of it. I spent the entire morning taking care of her vomiting, intoxicated self. It looked like I was about to experience part two later.

"Have you ever gambled?" Luca queried as he sipped his Scotch. I was confused as to why he was still next to me. I was underdressed in my usual comfort clothes. No effort whatsoever. If he was attempting to pull up on me he was either blind or bored.