Trust Me

Rose

"Wake up!" The deep voice was heard. I couldn't make out if it was in my dream or someone was actually in my room. "Rosy wake up!" He whined dragging my name. "Okay birthday girl I guess you can have five more minutes of peace"

Birthday girl?

I fluttered my eyes open and stared at him.

"How do you know?"

"How do I know what?" He asked pretending to be clueless.

"How do you know it's my birthday?" I asked sitting up on the bed.

"I am a psychic"

"Nate!" I yelled and he laughed. I couldn't hold back my smile. His laugh was contagious. "I'm serious, how do you know?"

"It would take away the magic if you knew"

"Fine" I said crossing my arms with a smile.

"So you're twenty now huh?"

"I guess so" I chuckled.

"They grow up so fast" He said dramatically and plopped on the bed. "But seriously we need to do something for your birthday. It's a special day today, we can bake a cake together. You're good at baking and I can be your assistant and we can-"

"Nate" I called out interrupting his rumbling. "It's not that much of a special day. It's just a normal day like any other" I said.

"Don't be silly" He scoffed. "It is a special day. It's the day you came into this world"

"That's why it's not that special" I mumbled. A part of me didn't want him to hear me and ruin his mood, but he did hear me.

He scooted closer and put his arm around my shoulders.

"Rosy don't be silly" He said ruffling my already mess of a hair. "Your life might have been bad till now, but I promise you that from now on it will only get better"

"Okay" I simply said.

He pushed me lightly to tease me, "Come on, don't be so grumpy birthday girl! Give me a smile" He said looking down at me.

Of course I gave in.

"That's my girl" he praised.

Once again, he'd made me feel embarrassed. Everytime he was this sweet to me I couldn't help but wonder if he really meant the things he said.

I wish he really means them.

"So are we baking that cake or not? I even woke up early to get stuff"

I giggled and stood up, "Of course"

We left the room together and walked in the kitchen, but as soom as we got in I noticed a big cake on the counter.

I was confused, why was there a cake here already?

"Surprise!" He said behind me. "You like it? I mean of course you would have done it better but I wouldn't make you do one for your own birthday I wanted to-" He was interrupted by me turning around and smashing myself onto him.

No one had ever done something like this for me.

"Thank you" I said pulling away. He was still in shock but smiled saying 'you're welcome'

_________

"Okay who made this?" I asked finishing my piece of the cake.

"Me"

"You didn't"

"I did"

"I know for a fact you didn't" I said raising an eyebrow, "This is perfect"

"Ouch! You think I wouldn't be able to make this? You think I'm that useless?"

"Nate let's be real, who helped you?"

"Okay maybe I had a little help, so what?" He said.

"Who helped you?" I repeated.

"Okay, don't laugh"

"I won't" I crossed my arms saying.

"Leo helped"

"No way he helped" I scoffed.

"He did! I swear! We can call him right now"

"Okay no, I believe you" I said being a little scared of Leo.

"You liked it?" He asked glancing at me.

"I loved it. Thank you so much" I smiled.

"It's the least I could do" He chuckled.

He spent the day with me. We watched movies and talked about random stuff. He kept making me laugh and we had a great time together as always, but of course all good things come to an end.

We were sitting on the couch and he had somehow ended up with his head leaned on my shoulder and his arms around my waist playing with my fingers. I was pretty comfortable around him, I even liked being with him like this.

"You know I'll have to go in a few minutes" He said.

"To meet him?" I asked

"Yeah, I have to. I'm sorry" He said looking up at me with his head still on my shoulder. I couldn't be mad at him even if I wanted to. Him saying sorry and looking at me with that face was not giving me any other choice.

"It's okay, I don't mind. I'm just scared that-"

"Hey" He said sitting up straight as he cupped my cheek and made me look at him, "Don't ever be scared. I got this okay? Trust me" 

"He's dangerous Nate-"

"Rose I've been doing this ever since I was twelve" He said shocking me.

How could a twelve year old child get into this type of job?

"He thinks he's strong because he can boss around children and abuse women. That doesn't show strength that's weakness"

He looked really mad. I'd never seen him so angry before but I knew he was right to be angry at Cole.

"Trust me okay? He can't hurt you as long as you're with me"

"Okay" I whispered nodding. He suddenly leaned in and kissed my forehead which had my heart beating too fast and my face feeling hot.

I didn't expect that.

Cole had never treated me so gently. Cole was harsh and rough while Nate was gentle and tender. He wasn't even worth comparing him to Nate. They were complete opposites.

He lingered there for a few seconds and pulled away looking at me but I looked away.

"I have to go now"