Chapter 6: The First Assignment

I grit my teeth in frustration as Crowley looks me up and down, smiling wickedly. I don't know what made me think that he's a decent guy that just wants Hell to get better. Demons are never like that, and I was ignorant for believing that some were.

   "I don't wanna hear what's really gonna happen," I hiss, my face flushing with rage. "I take this whole thing back. Bring me back to my cell."

   Crowley chuckles in amusement. "That's cute. Thinking you can boss me around like that. Last time I checked, darling, you're the one that's tied up."

   I was also ignorant for thinking that he would just listen to me when I demanded something.

   "Now," Crowley begins, "you're going to help me with my plans. If you choose not to or put up a fight in any way, you will be tortured ten times worse than what you would've been in your cell." He smiles, looking off into the distance dreamily. "I've always wanted a hunter to work for me. They know a lot about humans, demons, angels, and everything in between. I could exploit that."

Tears well up in my eyes. "You're sick..."

"I could make the argument that you're the sick one, my dear," Crowley states, raising his eyebrows. "After all, you thought that the bloody King of Hell was being truthful when he said that you would make Hell a more humane place." He reaches over the table and begins to knock on my head, giggling childishly at his apparently hilarious gag. "Anyone home?" he asks.

"Cut it out," I growl, feeling stupid.

   Crowley smirks. "Ah, ah, ah! I tell you what to do." He then pokes my forehead, and I sigh through my nose in frustration.

   "However, I did tell the truth about one thing," he says.

   He doesn't continue, so I roll my eyes and ask, "Which is?"

   "You have a strong personality and are a very empathetic person," Crowley says, leaning back in his chair, his smirk becoming wider.

   His smug expression doesn't match his words, so I raise an eyebrow skeptically. "And?"

   "And," Crowley continues, "you are just the type of person that I would absolutely love to break." He chuckles. "After all, you've proven yourself to be the delicate flower that I said you were."

   I bite my lip to keep the stream of profanities from coming out of my mouth. Sass is okay with him (hell, maybe he even likes it in a weird way), but insolence won't fly. Proven by the fact that he literally pinned me against the wall when I called him a douche.

   "I told you," I grumble, desperately trying to contain the rage that's swelling inside of me. "I'm not a delicate flower."

   Crowley raises an eyebrow. "You're not? Then tell me why you gave into me, despite your beliefs, after one torturing session. Some people suck it up and do this forever, you know."

I don't have a response for that. Regardless if I like it or not (which I very much don't), the King of Hell is right. And that realization makes my blood boil.

My rage must've leaked into my expression, because Crowley looks at me with satisfaction, smirking. "Looks like somebody doesn't have anything to say. Weird, considering the fact that you never seem to shut up."

If I submit to him and acknowledge my stupidity, maybe we can let this whole thing drop. Or, even better, maybe he'll go a bit easier on me during my time here. Maybe he's the type of guy that likes it when his pet gives in to him. Seeing as how much of a scumbag he is, it wouldn't surprise me if he did. I might even look a little cute to sweeten the deal.

"You're right," I mumble in that whiny voice that some guys find attractive. "I'm delicate and easy to break." I gaze at Crowley with the most pathetic and adorable eyes I can muster.

He looks shocked that I tried to pull that with him. Something flickers in his eyes, but before I can decipher what it is, he rolls them up to the ceiling. "I thought that you would be above doing that, darling. You just keep surprising me."

I pout, trying to keep the charade up. The weaker I can get him, the better my time here will be. "It didn't work?"

Crowley smirks. "I never said that. I just have the ability to restrain myself from getting all soft."

Oh? Maybe I'm getting somewhere. Maybe I can break that ability of his. "But I'd like to see you all soft," I purr.

Crowley closes his eyes and sighs dramatically, waving his hand.

I begin to say more, but no words come out of my mouth. I furrow my eyebrows, trying again. I glare at Crowley once I realize that he muted me.

He chuckles. "Glare all you want, love. Just know that you brought this upon yourself." He straightens his tie with a smile, clearly reveling in my inability to speak. "Anyway, our first order of business will consist of the Winchesters."

Crowley can tell that I wanna say something that doesn't relate to me trying to weaken him, so he waves his hand again, granting me the ability to talk.

"The Winchesters?" I repeat. That name sounds familiar, but I can't place from where. "That name sounds so familiar..."

"You've probably heard of them," Crowley responds, nodding. "They're hunters, too. Probably the most well-known in the world. They're brothers. And, more importantly, they get under my skin."

"Who doesn't?" I grumble.

Crowley narrows his eyes as he glares at me. "Don't make me mute you again."

"'Glare all you want, love,'" I blurt out, mocking his accent in an exaggerated manner. "'Just know that you brought this upon yourself.'"

I immediately realize that I screwed up. I shrink further back into my chair, bracing for physical and emotional impact.

As I predicted, Crowley looks mad. His eyebrows furrow in annoyance, and a scowl is etched onto his pretty face. But what I didn't predict is the way the corners of his lips tug upwards into a smile. Maybe I did make him soft!

I smile back stupidly, relieved that I'm not getting a beating.

Crowley notices that I saw his smile and clears his throat, his face flushing a bit. "A-anyway, about the Winchesters... They have a lot of knowledge on purgatory, and purgatory is something that I want. I'm gonna need you to hop in a meat suit and gather as much intel on what they know as possible back on Earth. I'll help you out by guiding you to their general location, but other than that, you're on your own with this."

I open my mouth to object, not wanting to be in anyone else's body but my own.

"Ah! Remember the alternative," Crowley says, gesturing to all of the weapons laid on his desk.

The sight of those make me gulp. I nod defeatedly.

"Excellent," he smiles, clapping his hands together. "How great this'll be, am I right, gorgeous?"

How great this'll be, indeed...

~~~

Um, hello! I've just popped in at the end of this chapter to say that we've hit 40+ reads! Thank you all so much! It means a lot to know that people are reading this book!