Chapter 09: Your Girl

To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark pearls of life.

 There is no other pearl to be found in the dark pearls of life

J A M E S

"Captain," Nick, the linebacker on our football team says, "Your girl is here."

"Brittany is not my fucking girl," I grumble, without turning to look at the stands, "Focus on practi-"

"I didn't mean Brittany," he interrupts obnoxiously before I can finish, "I meant her- look!"

"Who the f-" I pause when I see who it was, and my eyebrows furrow.

Annabeth smiles at me, lifting a hand to give me a big wave.

School had ended over an hour ago- but I was still here for football practice. Why was she still here?

"Hi, James!" she calls chirpily, from the stands. Half the football team turns at the sound of her voice.

I was certain nearly all of them had a crush on her. They stared at her too much, even during the school day. Especially in that fucking dress she was wearing today.

A part of me had suddenly blanked when I saw her this morning, and I had no idea how that fucking happened.

The fact that they were still staring at her didn't bother me, of course. I always felt like bashing people's heads in. The urge to do so just got stronger.

I continue to frown in her direction as she gingerly takes a seat in the stands, pulling her dress down. She was here for me? The fuck?

And then it hits me. The assignment. I had told her I had practice, and she said she didn't mind. Now, she was here.

I press my lips together into an irritated line, even though the sight of her waiting for me makes something inside very stupidly light up.

She had braided her hair back too. Wasn't it left loose this morning?

A football hits the side of my head.

"Motherfu-" I glare at Tyler, who gives me an innocent grin as I lift my hand to my head, "The fuck was that for, dipshit?"

"I didn't see you there," he tells me, his grin widening, "It looked like you were a little lost staring at a certain someone."

"You didn't see me- why, you fucking-"

"Wrap it up, boys!" I hear Coach yell from where he was standing on the sidelines- watching all of us closely, "Same time tomorrow- not a minute late, or you're running laps! I'm looking at you, Gray-"

"I wasn't late," Tyler defends indignantly, "You were just early Coach-"

"Argue with me, and I'll make you run more laps," he warns, to which Tyler instantly closes his mouth. "That's what I thought. Now, hit the showers and get outta here."