chapter 38

Monday, June 1st, 2020

Nix's car almost didn't start this morning. The brisk winter air had frozen over the windscreen and rattled the engine.

I'd brushed off the frost, my hands turning numb. I'd lost my gloves and I didn't have time to find them this morning.

The engine had spluttered three times before it finally warmed up. I was going to walk, but when I got outside and it was less than 10 degrees celsius, there was no way.

I've been sitting in the parking lot for five minutes, staring out at the people amongst me.

Most people trailing near their cars were minding their business. But some were lingering over by the main entrance, staring straight at my car.

I'd thought that it wasn't real. I thought I was imagining it. When I went back to school after what happened people stared at me. I was probably just being paranoid because of that.

I wasn't. It was real. I could see people whispering to each other in the distance, pointing at the car.

My hands are shaking when I finally remove the key from the ignition.

"Calm down. Calm down," I whisper to myself.

I was worried about something that probably had a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I step out into the cold air, the wind blowing my hair in front of my face, blocking my vision. I pull my school blazer closer around me, my eyes flickering over the faces who stare back.

It doesn't seem real until I'm at the entrance, walking up the steps. People are staring. It gets worse once I shoulder passed everyone, bumping open the door.

The hallway seems to falter when I enter. The noise levels quieten significantly. My steps stop abruptly, watching as all eyes turn to me.

"Surprised she showed her face," a guy mumbles nearby.

When I meet his gaze, he sends me a hard glare. I turn away instantly, quickening my pace.

I just needed to get to my locker. I'm sure whatever was going on, there was a plausible explanation.

"Lonnie!"

I spin around on my heal, my heart racing.

"Is it— is it true?"

It's Sydney, barrelling towards me. She grabs me by the arm, pulling me away from watchful eyes and into a corner.

"What?" I ask, frantic. "Is what true?"

But I already know. Before the words leave her mouth, I already know.

"That you have a brother and he— he was the one to—"