Chapter XIV - My Love Proposal (Revised)

During my illness, I learned a lot from Yu Tan. She'd risked her life to gather information for me. She told me that the Crowned Prince wanted me to be his concubine because I was very close to Suwan Guwalgiya Min Min. The King of Mongolia owned an exceedingly strong army and such a strength could assist him in gaining his military power if I were his wife.

I snickered when I heard the news. "How daring of him to use me as a tool to strengthen his clan!"

"Sister, do not be angry. You have not recovered fully. Come, drink this herbal medicine."

Balling my fists, I tried to calm myself down. Now, I could only wait. Ice Face said he could settle the matter and I had faith in him. In order to delay the potential marriage and give Ice Face more time to think of some ideas to defeat the Crowned Prince, I mustn't get well so soon. Determined, I grabbed the bowl of medicine and poured it into a pot of bonsai.

"Sister, why did you--"

"Yu Tan, I'll never allow myself to become the Crowned Prince's wife. If I remain sick, I can delay the fate of giving away my love for such a horrible man. You must act with me this time."

I persuaded her until my tongue was swollen. Finally, she nodded.

I couldn't fake my illness. The doctors would know, so I spent most of the time soaking myself in a tub of cold water. In order to encourage me, Ice Face asked his herald to send me a crystal hair clasp with a Mulan design. Inside the gift box was another chest. I opened it and was bewildered to see all the jewelry that I had previously returned to him before. My heart lurched with excitement. This time, I didn't send the gifts away.

 After a week, Ice Face had thought of a way to let the emperor know about the Crowned Prince's misdeeds all these years. I exhaled a sigh of relief when I heard of the news. It seemed that my grief and worries could be set aside for the time being.

Sitting in front of the copper mirror, I took out the Mulan hair clasp. Mulan? Why did Ice Face like Mulan so much? Without thinking about it, I slid the hair clasp into my hair and smiled heartily. I had hidden too long in my house. It was time to breathe some fresh air. While I was strolling in one of the imperial gardens, I saw Ice Face walking towards my direction. My cheeks burned with sudden embarrassment. I quickly turned around and took down the hair clasp.

"Ma'ertai Ruo Xi, why did you always run away whenever you see me? Am I really that scary?" He walked towards me and held my hand gently. His touch triggered my anticipation. "The hair clasp complemented your beauty well. Why did you remove it?"

"I... I'm afraid that you'll laugh at me."

"Why would I laugh at you?"

"I... The hair clasp is the only gift that I didn't return to you. I didn't know why I would wear it today."

I kept my head low so that he wouldn't see me blush. Of course, I knew why I wore it. I was falling for him because he would become the future ruler. He would have sovereign power that no one would dare disobey. I would be protected if I were his wife. I didn't mind how the other princes would think of me. Yes, I was selfish, but everyone would become selfish if he or she was given a choice. I was certain that this time my decision was right.

Feeling convinced, I looked up, "Fourth Prince, would... would you marry me?"

"Marry you?" Ice Face sniggered. "I do not dare to and I do not want to."

"Why not?"

"Everyone knows why the Crowned Prince wanted you to become his concubine, and the case has yet to settle completely. Father said he will investigate it carefully. If I ask Father to bestow you to me, that will directly show that I am challenging the Crowned Prince, and Father would think that I want to rebel. Now, not only me, none of the princes dare marry you."