Chapter 40

Ashlyn Harris POV

Last night after we gave Cam her medication, she fell right asleep. I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned for her. But I also know under certain triggers she is prone to getting these migraines. I make my way down to breakfast with Ali hoping to see if Cam was there and how she's holding up.

"You ready for today?" I hear a voice come from behind me as I enter the buffet line.

"More than ready, kid. How are you feeling this morning?" I ask Cameron.

"Much better. Thank you for grabbing my medication."

"It's the least I can do. And please if you don't feel well you can always come to me or Ali. There's no need to hide anything. We want to be there for you." I tell her and she hugs me.

After breakfast, we all change and head over to the bus. Kelley and Cameron sit next to each other on the bus. I've noticed that they have gotten much closer over these past few weeks and I'm glad Cam has a good friend.

Coach gives a speech in the locker room before we head out to start the match. I feel everyone get hyped up. It's game time baby. After the national anthem, the teams' starting 11 make their way to the field. Coach chose me, Kelley, Dunn, Sauerbrunn, Daulkemper, Ertz, Lavelle, Cameron, Heath, Lloyd, and Press as part of the starting eleven.

The game soon starts with South Korea possessing the ball. Their offensive line has gotten tremendously better over the years. Our back line is holding up as best as they can.  Our offensive plays have been holding up as well. It's a lot of back and forth but the game is fast paced. Nothing happens in the first half. Both teams had very good shots taken at goal but none went through. There were so many opportunities that could've put either team ahead.

We then head out for our second half. South Korea came back to this half so much stronger than the first half. We can barely keep the ball in our possession. Soon South Korea is able to find the back of the net. I couldn't even get a touch on. That shot made us realize that we need to step up our game. Then it happens. The infamous O'Hara and Santiago dynamic strikes. Kelley dribbles the ball past midfield and puts a touch on it enough to land in front of Cameron's feet as she sprints down the field. Cam in two swift moves makes her way around the defender and shoots the ball. The keeper is off her line. Cameron knows exactly what she's doing. GOALLLL!

The crowd goes insane. Cameron runs and jumps into Kelley's arms. There's only four minutes left of the game. We have a chance to come out on top. Our pace changes and we are playing full force.

Cameron Santiago POV

South Korea is making their way down to our defense. I run and try to catch up to help the back line. They are making their way past Kelley. O'Hara picks up speed and slides tackles the player but her foot cleanly gets rid of the ball. I see the player get angry thinking it was a dirty play. She shoves Kelley. I run and put myself between them. I push Kelley back behind me and shove the player back.

"Watch yourself!" I tell her.

"We both know that was a foul." She yells at me. "It was dirty!"

She steps closer to me and I feel someone pull my arm back, but I hold my ground. I test the South Korean player by taking a step towards her so our faces are practically touching.

"Cameron let it go. It's not worth it." I hear Ash say and watch her step between me and the Korean player. Ash turns be around so we can walk away from the situation. "Don't get carded because you can't control your anger."

"Murderer can't control her anger. Who let you on the field?" The player mutters under her breath.

Ash was prepared for my reaction to that comment. I turn around ready to tackle this bitch. As I make my way over in a split second. I feel hands trying to pull me away. Kelley is in front of me trying to pull back. Ash is by my side and grabs my still freshly bruised torso. I take in a sharp breath and I get distracted enough to stop. I see my teammates create a circle around me so I wouldn't be able to attack the other player.

"Get your act together. Take a deep breath. We win this fight by scoring another goal." O'Hara whispers in my ear.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

"I'm ready." I say firmly after I recollected myself.

"That's it kid!" Ertz pats my back.

I have all this pent up adrenaline now from wanting to fight that player. I use it to my advantage when the play continues and we manage to get a corner kick. Press takes it. She places it perfectly for me to jump just enough to redirect the ball with my head. It hits the middle right post and goes in.

"What the hell, kid! You are on fire." Christen says as we hug. I feel teammates jump on my back and surround me. I might be going deaf from the crowd's enormous screaming in support.

Play begins at midfield again as South Korea takes the ball back. They will not win this.

I see the cross coming across the field. I ran down to support our back line. I see South Korea push all their players up. One of their players launches a high ball into the goal area. It was congested with players from both teams. Things are about to get ugly as everyone tries to get a touch on the ball. We all jump to head it.