1| Down On My Luck

"Not today please, not today"  I whispered lowly enough to not alert my eight year old Kameron just waking from the bed we shared in our studio apartment

"Not today please, not today" I whispered lowly enough to not alert my eight year old Kameron just waking from the bed we shared in our studio apartment.

"Kam, baby we are going to do our usual at McDonald's"

The light and water company had given me the max amount of extensions on my bill to try and catch up but with my lack of work and just enough to be consistent with, unfortunately the rent was about the only thing I could cover and left our fridge empty and at night we sat in the dark with a few candles burning to ease our fear of the dark.

Sadly a trip to McDonald's was our only hope when the water was shut off, I scrapped up enough change to buy Kameron a breakfast sandwich to grant us entrance into the bathrooms to wash up and brush our teeth.

" I'm really sorry Kam"

"It's okay can I get my sandwich?" He got up getting a fresh pair of clothes to put in his book bag.

"Yes and make sure if they have left overs at your school lunch to place it in your book bag I'll have ice tonight to keep it cold so you can have it for breakfast"

"What about you?" I forced a smile pushing the loose strands of hair back behind my ear.

"I will figure something out and if things go well with my sales I'll order us a giant pizza"

Kameron's eyes lit up at the thought of his favorite meal. I felt ashamed that I couldn't even provide the essentials for him or the things kids his age had.

"With pepperoni?"

"Of course, now come on so you aren't late to school"

I put my army sized duffle bag filled with my paint supplies around my body, letting Kameron lead us outside to make our short trek to McDonald's and then to his school.

"I was thinking I could see mom mom tomorrow since it's Friday"

" You know it's okay with me that way you can watch all the shows you love and eat all the food you want"

"You should come with me mom" I smiled weakly shaking my head and adjusting the bag to ease the pain of the strap digging into my shoulder.

" You being with your mom mom gives me extra time to try and get more cash"

I used the same excuse I always did when Kameron tried to include me on trips to my moms house knowing my presence wasn't welcomed in her home.

"I'll pack you some food up"

"Don't worry about me baby, it's my job to do the worrying not yours"

Kameron and I entered McDonald's heading straight for the bathrooms while there wasn't a crowd.

"Hurry up we are running late"

I hung my bag from the purse hook on the stall and laid down a towel for me to stand on while I undressed out of my pajamas, this was the norm in my life.