Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty Two:

Theodora sat on the island, sat in the middle of the kitchen. She wore sweatpants she found in Malcolm's room with her baggy black shirt as she sipped wine from her glass. She wasn't a drinker, so with every sip her face scrunched at the horrible taste. Theodora decided she did not like wine, but she felt fancy swishing the liquid around and found herself bringing the glass back up to her lips.

Her phone was connected to Malcolm's surround sound equipment, a song blaring through the speakers all around her.

"Gloria, they found you on the floor." She yelled out the lyrics, "Gloria, my hand was tied to yours."

Theodora crossed her legs on the counter, waving her glass in the air out of boredom. It was just past nine o'clock and Malcolm wasn't home yet, she wondered if he was still at the precinct working late with the other.

"Heaven help me now, Heaven show the way. Get me back on my own two feet, I would lie awake and pray you don't lie awake for me."

She tapped her glass, swaying to the beat. Theodora closed her eyes as she found herself standing on the counter, tapping her socked foot on the dark granite.

"Gloria, you crawled up on your cross." She yelled out, bouncing around. "Gloria, you made us sit and watch—"

Her eyes peeled open as they landed on Dani who stood across the room from her, Malcolm leaning against her for balance. Theodora leaped off the counter, placing her glass on the surface before clicking pause on her phone. The loud music came to a stop and silence filled its place, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah." Dani laughed, "You're taking your new free time really well."

She rolled her eyes, looking to Malcolm. He was staring at her with a weird expression, "What's wrong with him?"

Dani nudged him towards her, to which he stepped behind Theodora and wrapped his arms around her.

"He is high."

"High?" Theodora's eye's widened, "What the hell—"

"It's a long story."

He snorted from behind her, "Dani's nice. I don't know why I've been avoiding her. I'm so mean."

Dani bit back a laugh, "You got him?"

"The best babysitter in town." Theodora winked, "But I need to know why he's high."

"Lets just say a crate of something exploded on him during gunfire. He's fine, physically. Mentally, well—"

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

The woman waved as she disappeared down the stairs, the door clicking shut behind her. Theodora ducked from under his arms, "So, what have you been up too?"

Malcolm's eyes were ridiculously bright, like a child that ate to much candy and didn't know what to do with themselves. He yanked off his blazer and tossed it on the ground as he leaped over onto the black leather couch and bounced up and down.

"You know what we should do? Throw axes! Axe fight!"

Theodora scrambled after him, "No! No, no—"

"I have five!"

"I know you do."

"No, I have six." He gazed around the room, "Doesn't matter. That's plenty."

"Malcolm." She watched as he opened a box before staring at his hands. She retreated backwards, watching him closely.