Chapter 4

Merrick Gatherer was the third child of the large family who owned the tavern at the centre of the village, Luce and her husband, The Barman were family to Marcie and she and Merrick were particularly close, being the same age and practically growing up together. If he held any bitterness towards her for refusing to marry him after her mother died and her brother left, he didn't show it.

The tavern was directly opposite the main square, it was the second biggest building around, with small glass windows and a large sign hanging above the door, surrounded by lanterns.

It was lunchtime when she arrived and many of the patrons were stopping in for a quick drink and a meal cooked by Luce before getting back to work.

Marcie found her round the back watching Susanne and Malam playing in a bucket of water. Her Small face with its round cheeks and laugh lines was peaceful and stress free, a small smile playing on her lips, Marcie hesitated, not wanting to intrude on the moment. Susanne filled a glass with water and poured it over her brothers head, he cried out and chased her around with his own glass while she shrieked with laughter.

Luce finally noticed Marcie.

"Oh!" she leaped up and carefully smoothed out her apron and put a hand to her head to check her blond curls were in place.

"Marcie dear, I didn't see you!"

"Hello Luce"

She rushed forward then stopped suddenly and put a hand on her stomach,"Oh!", she smiled, "Marcie come feel this."

Marcie hesitated, Luce reached out and grabbed her hand pulling her forward she gave her an awkward one armed hug and then pressed her hand to the right side of her stomach, "See, you feel that?"

After a few moments Marcie felt a slight pressure under her hand, she smiled at Luce.

Luce smiled back, keeping a hold on her hand she led Marcie to the step she had been sitting on and carefully lowered herself onto it.

"You've lost weight" she tutted scanning her waist line and squeezing her wrist.

Marcie laughed and looked pointedly at Luce's own waist.

"And you've put a lot on"

Luce laughed and relaxed slightly. She continued to watch her children playing, Marcie watched with her, content to just sit in silence and spend time with her surrogate mother.

After a while Luce sighed contentedly then turned back to Marcie,

"What brings you here my sweet?" she asked

Marcie held out a bundle of clothes, some dresses and trousers that had been lengthened.

"Just dropping these off, and to check how your doing"

"I am just fine dear, not long now, winter births are harder but if they live through the first months they will be stronger for it" Luce said happily

Marcie smiled, when Luce was happy she was happy. It was a pleasant relief from the fear inducing panic of the past couple of days.

Luce turned from watching her children and looked at Marcie closely, a small frown appearing between her eyebrows,

"Now Marcie, tell me what's troubling you"

Marcie looked away guiltily. Luce had always been good at reading her, too good sometimes. As a child it had gotten her into no end of trouble,but now, no matter how well meaning, it was not something Luce could help with, so Marcie just smiled and told her truthfully,

"Nothing you need to trouble yourself with. I will sort it out by myself"

Luce shifted and looked at the ground,

"Is it anything involving a man?" she asked sheepishly

Marcie was surprised "No Luce, it does not involve a man" she said, not a little exasperatedly.

Luce held her hands up,

"How should I interpret your nervousness then Hmm? If it is not caused by a man? You are at the age when you should be concerned with such things, you have been for a long time. Its not right" she finished.

She may have raised Marcie and know her better than most but Luce could be incredible narrow minded sometimes.

Unsure what to say Marcie just let the silence linger then gently excused herself and left Luce to wonder about her 'man troubles'.