Ignorance is Bliss

~Malia~

"Hey, you dipped out of school last week, you okay?"  Lizzie's warm blue eyes met mine and it was so hard to lie to her compassion.

"Yeah, sorry I had a family thing."  Well, that clearly wasn't a lie. Internal eye roll.

"Okay, well, let me walk you to class?"

"Sure."

We looped our arms together in the crook of our elbows and walked to first period together and it wasn't long before I spotted them.

Henry, a few inches shorter than Daniel, trying his best to insert himself into a conversation that didn't involve him whatsoever.

I made sure to stare at them for a while, mainly Daniel because that made the most sense given our history that I'd be looking at him and not Henry, and finally our eyes connected.

I raised my eyebrows as we continued walking down the halls and Henry finally caught on to what was happening.

I noticed as I passed them that Henry turned around to watch us disappear down the hall and around the corner and I finally allowed myself to breathe again once we were out of their eyesight.

"Woah, what was that all about?"

I had sort of maybe forgotten about Lizzie there for a minute.

"You know I used to date Daniel, right?"

She eyed me with a stern level of confusion.

"Yeah, but I thought you were with Louis now..."

Here it goes, time to put my acting skills to the test.

"He made it perfectly clear where we stand, and I'm positive he doesn't want anything to do with me."

"Mhmm...."

"What?"

"Oh nothing...I just find it hard to believe that a guy looking at you like that wants nothing to do with you..." she trailed off and I whipped my head to where her eyes were trained in the classroom and found Louis' piercing stare trained directly on me.

His eyes swept over my body and I could practically hear the growl of approval in my ear as if he were standing directly beside me. He looked as if he wanted to devour me then and there in the middle of the classroom. I would definitely be having a talk with him about that later.

"Whatever, it doesn't matter. He said what he said and I'm not about to bow down to whatever he wants. Daniel and I have history...that's not something you can just erase."

Unless that certain someone faked their own death effectively shattering my heart in the process, but I didn't say that to Lizzie.

"Wait. Daniel as in the one who died in the military?"

I was surprised it had taken her that long to ask.

I pulled her to the side of the door and away from prying eyes and ears.

"Yes. He was pulled into a secret sect of the government that focused on international affairs but the press ousted him when they found my connection to him and that was when I found out he was still alive. Louis pushes me away and I decided if I didn't explore what was still there with Daniel I'd never forgive myself."

"Well girl, it looks like you're in the middle of one jacked up love triangle, but I'm here if you need me."

I felt more than terrible for lying to her but I had to make sure everyone believed our facade, especially the King's Horses.