52. The Final Step

After her talk with Jimin, Jiah had felt a wave of certainty, relief, comfort wash over her

After her talk with Jimin, Jiah had felt a wave of certainty, relief, comfort wash over her. The past few days seemed so alleviating, and she wouldn't have traded it for the world. She was growing happier where she was in life - and that was something she'd never experienced before.

One more step and it'll all be over.

"Noona!" a voice snapped her back into reality, and she looked up to see a ball flying right to her face.

Luckily, her reflexes weren't for nothing, as she flung her arms out in front of her and caught it.

"Ji Young! A little warning!"

"We're playing a game!" he whined, "No one yells 'Hey, I'm about to throw the ball to you' in a game!"

"Still!" she huffed, tilting her chin up at him, "That was rude."

"Can you just shoot," he groaned, and she turned away. Hormones.

Jiah raised her arms, taking a full three seconds to aim for the hoop before letting the ball go.

Watching as it took off, arching down right to the backboard and she bit her lip waiting for it to pass through the orange rim, except that it continued to pass over the board and ended up on the court behind it.

A wicked laugh erupted from behind her, and she couldn't help but send him a threatening glare, one to which he just continued to chortle.

"You suck at basketball, noona!"

"I know I do, jerk," she scoffed as he was coming back from retrieving the ball, "I only play with you for you to practice, geez."

"I know, I know," his voice grew louder, and she wanted to turn to see what he was doing, but it was too late. He had already run up to her and jumped on her back, circling his arms around her neck and squeezing.

It took her a couple of seconds to wobble on her feet before balancing him properly on top of her, clutching him by his thighs.

"You might be my little brother, but you still weigh a ton," she let out, pretending to lose her breath.

But he didn't buy it, "And you're my badass older sister who's probably stronger than half the men your own age."

"Ugh," she heaved, feeling him slip off and sit down on the courts, "You're lucky I love you."

And as soon as she said it, her eyes widened, panic flashing over her face as she quickly glanced his way to check if he'd heard.

His expression mirrored hers, wide eyes and a hint of surprise glimmered over it.

"What?"

She felt her visage soften as she slumped down next to him, "I do, and I'm sorry I haven't said it enough... or said it at all. I'm so proud of the amazing man you're becoming, and the fact that you always learn from your mistakes.