9) On the edge

Cal

"Doing our imperfect best means accepting that there will often be mistakes, flaws, and rough edges

"Doing our imperfect best means accepting that there will often be mistakes, flaws, and rough edges. These mistakes, flaws, and rough edges add to the beauty of who we are and provide us with the power to connect with others."

- Jason W. Freeman, Awkwardly Awesome: Embracing My Imperfect Best

"Aren't you tired?" Four asked as he stood in front of me.

"Not yet." I answered as I kept hitting the bag, I glanced at him as he then stood next to me and he grabbed my arm before I threw a punch to the bag.

I looked at him confused and he let go of my arm.

"You're unsure of where you're hitting." He pointed out. "I'm hitting the bag." I retort, he stared at me and gestured me to come toward the mat. "Come on, I already pledged for you, can't mess up now." He said seeing my hesitation.

I take in a breath and nod. As I walked toward the mat in front of us, Four takes off his boots and socks. Then he tossed them to the side and took off his jacket, setting it down on the floor and got on the mat.

"Your fight with Molly, it wasn't fair, but necessary." He began as I stepped onto the mat and moved my baby hairs from my sweaty face. "Your fight with Peter for 1st place, it won't be easy." He pointed out and gestured me to stand in front of him, so I did. "You think too much on your hits and defenses, you need to just be in the moment." He said going behind me. "Now, I'm gonna put you in a chokehold and you just do what ever comes into mind first." I nod and wait for him to start.

His arm wrapped around my neck and he puts his other behind my head, then he pulled me closer to him and gripped his hands together.

I feel my air slowly being cut off and I slightly leaned over with my hands gripping his arm around my neck, and I try to pull him over my shoulder.

Instead of bringing him over, he tightened his grip and my air is completely cut off, and my face starts to warm up.

"Don't overthink your moves, you could've easily elbowed me." He pointed out as we slowly get on one knee. "You're gonna knock out in a few seconds if you don't do something." He added. So I try to pull his arm around my neck off, but he was better trained than I was and he maintained his grip tight. "C-Can't..." I barely choked out and began to feel lightheaded.

I tapped his arm twice and he let go, I dropped onto my palms and coughed profusely while trying to breathe properly.

"Stand up properly and put your hands on your head, it'll expand your lungs." He said from behind me, I nodded and got on my knees. "I've seen Peter fight, you know he won't take it easy and he'll want to embarrass you." He explained kneeling down next to me and I put my hands on my head. "Why did you even vouch for me?" I asked him.