• 53 •

“Xue called you by your name!” Hana gasped.

“He...did…” Cecil muttered out, her hand on the same shoulder that Xue pressed down on. “What did he mean by those words…?”

“I think Xue likes you now!” 

Cecil coughed, turning to look at Hana with wide eyes, removing her hand from her shoulder.

“Wh-what?”

“He is calling you by your name now, that means he likes you, doesn’t he?” Hana grinned happily, and Cecil let out a short nervous chuckle.

Somehow, with Hana’s personality, the like she means is probably...like a stray animal that has finally warmed up to the person who has been sneaking them food for days.

Seeing Hana’s bright smile, Cecil sighed in relief. “You don’t seem scared now, you were so uncomfortable around Xue earlier.” 

Upon hearing that, Hana’s smile faltered.

Cecil became flustered. “So-sorry Hana, maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up.”

“No, it’s okay,” Hana shook her head. “I am still scared of Xue, but you are important as well!”

Cecil was touched by her last few words, responding to Hana with a grateful smile. 

“And I know Xue isn’t a bad guy!” Hana added. “He’s just…”

“Just…?”

“I-I don’t know how to explain…” Hana pouted, glancing down before bringing her head up, vexed. “It’s hard! Xue is hard to explain! Xue is difficult!"

Cecil couldn’t help but laugh heartily at Hana’s exclamation.

Even the heroine knows!

Watching Cecil laugh out loud in an unrestrained manner, Hana giggled along as she cuddled her best friend. 

“I know how you feel, Hana.”

“Yes! Xue is...Xue!”

Hearing melodious laughter drifting towards them, Zasiok and his parents who were in the middle of their argument halted. They turned to look at the two women, who were chattering and nodding in agreement, still giggling at one another. 

“That is…” his mother trailed off, helpless. “They look so happy even after what happened.” 

His father turned to look at Zasiok wordlessly, along with his wife. 

Zasiok smiled at the scene of the two women laughing, looking back at his parents and shrugging. “Don’t look at me, ask them.” 

“You...don’t try to escape!”

“Ow, ow mother! Don’t smack me, I’m injured!”

“You are really fortunate that they are forgiving!” his mother huffed unhappily, before nodding in affimiration. “And they are beautiful too.”

His father glanced at his wife, his eyes widening in horror. “Honey, please don’t start it again.”

“Zasiok, my son, you aren’t getting any younger. Don’t you think you should find yourself a partner?” 

Zasiok groaned, slapping his palm onto his face. “Mother, we have gone through this a million times--”

“This is a perfect opportunity, you should start pursuing one of them!” she pried the hand off her son’s face, lecturing him. “We won’t be here forever, you will need someone to stay by your side, to take care of you and love you and…”