Wattpad Original
Mayroong 1 pang libreng parte

8: Sebastian

If it weren't for Sigourney liking my profile photo from a couple of months ago, I wouldn't be messaging her in the first place.

As it was, I was surprised to see 'Sigourney Lascano liked your photo' among my notifications, and I refused to let her get away with it. Who knew that the woman who threw me furious looks over lunch a few days ago actually took some time to look at my half-naked beach photo?

Before I knew it, my resolve to forget about that accursed phone call at the yacht had faded away, and I found myself asking Sigourney if she at least thought herself deserving of an explanation as to why I advised against her upcoming wedding to Jaron.

But, for the second time, I was brushed off by Sigourney. I actually groaned out loud at her response – she was so in love with Jaron that she wouldn't hear a thing against him! I never knew that love could make someone this foolish, but here we are.

"Fine!" I hissed furiously, staring at the 'You can't reply to this conversation' banner at the bottom of our chat. "I'm never bothering to save you from Jaron again, Ms. Lascano. Kung gusto mong magbulag-bulagan sa pagmamahal mo sa gago kong pinsan, bahala ka. Magsisisi ka rin sa huli."

After taking one last look of frustration at our short exchange, I logged out of Facebook and resolved to never think of Sigourney again. Once the wedding was over, I'd pretend I didn't even cross paths with Jaron's wife-to-be.

Hihintayin ko na lang na matuklasan niya kung gaano kawalang-puso siyang niloloko ni Jaron, para mapagtanto niyang kung nakinig lang sana siya sa akin, hindi sana siya masasaktan nang sobra-sobra.

****

Hindi ko namalayang nakaidlip na pala ako kung hindi pa ako nagising dahil sa tawag ni Hope.

When I saw the name Hope Esquivel on my phone screen, I felt a strong urge to reject the call. Kaya lang, may posibilidad na tungkol sa klase ko ang dahilan ng pagtawag niya sa akin – Hope volunteered to cover for me when she learned that I would be taking a week off teaching to attend my cousin's wedding in Manila. It so happened that the teaching load for Management Accounting was split between the two of us, at naroon ang chairperson namin nang magpresinta siya kaya hindi na ako nakatanggi.

"Hope," I said, finally answering her call. "Napatawag ka?"

"Hi, Seb," she responded in her usual dainty manner. "Kumusta ka?"

"I'm fine; thanks for asking. May problema ba? How are the classes going so far?"

"Oh, no, walang problema." I could picture her out smiling. "Your students are brilliant, as usual. Halatang magaling ang prof."

"Well... thanks, I guess." I was careful not to sound too hearty. Mahirap na, baka kung ano pa ang isipin niya. "You're not so bad a teacher yourself."

Hope chuckled. "I'm not as good as you, Seb. Laging mga estudyante mo ang nagta-top sa departmental exams, may I remind you?"

"I didn't realize there was a competition," I said, smirking in spite of myself.

She laughed again. "That's because there's none. I'm more than happy to let you have the honor of 'Best Management Accounting Professor'."

"Hope..." I said lightly, trying not to come off as rude, "Bakit ka ba talaga napatawag? I'm pretty sure it's not just because you wanted to chat about our teaching."

"Ah, yes, about that..." She cleared her throat, as if trying to steel herself. "Well, you're in Manila for your cousin's wedding, right? That reminds me na imbitado rin pala ako sa kasal ng pinsan ko. It's in two months' time, and we're allowed to bring plus-ones... Would you like to go with me, Seb?"

"Oh," I said, taken aback. "Is this some sort of payback dahil sinalo mo ang mga klase ko?" I tried to sound like I was joking, but really, her invitation struck me that way.

"Of course not!" Hope answered quickly. "I'm just – I thought – hindi naman kita pinipilit. It's fine if you say no, Seb."

The disappointment in her voice was hard to miss. Bigla naman akong nakaramdam ng pagkakonsensya. Maybe I was being too harsh towards Hope – she, after all, used to be a good friend and is a very reliable co-instructor. Things just got awkward after she confessed to me that she likes me.

"Hey, I'm only kidding. Thanks for inviting me – I'll gladly be your plus-one at your cousin's wedding."

"Really?" Her voice, so downcast just a few moments before, now sounded elated. "That's... that's great! Sasabihin ko na sa pinsan ko na kasama kitang a-attend."

"Right." I smiled, imagining Hope barely able to contain her joy. She's one of those women who blush like crazy, kaya naman alam na alam kapag natutuwa o kinikilig siya. And awkwardness aside, I must admit that it felt nice to be liked – to be someone's source of happiness.

"Thanks, Seb. You don't know how happy I am right now." Hope was still sounding like she couldn't believe I agreed to her proposition. Even I could hardly believe myself for saying yes, but as the adage goes, all's said and done. Alangan namang bawiin ko pa ang pag-oo ko.

"Actually, I do. I know you're blushing like a tomato right now." I chuckled after teasing her, and she did the same. "So, is there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

"Hmm... wala na naman. I'll see you when you get back to Catalona, then."

"Yup. Bye, Hope."

"Bye, Seb." She ended the call.

I was left staring at the ceiling of the hotel room, now fully awake. Kanina lang ay aantok-antok pa ako sa simula ng usapan namin ni Hope. Did I really just agree to attend her cousin's wedding as her plus-one – as her date? Apparently, I did. Hindi ko nga alam kung may kakaiba ba akong nakain ngayong araw.

Great. I'll be attending another wedding in a few months. I just hope there'd be no illicit phone calls to be overheard this time.