Damon - bad blood (part one)

Request: Could you maybe do one where Damon is sick and Elena takes care of him? And maybe he's uncharacteristically down and miserable?

Requested by Emma_Carstairs16 

Elena was on her way to the Salvatore Boarding house as always. She was with the brothers almost every day, spending time with both of them. Truth to be told, she couldn't choose between any of them. And luckily they respected that. Well, Stefan more than Damon. Stefan always supported her decisions, and Damon would always do the wrong things for the right reasons. Though both the brothers knew, that Elena had lost more than anyone else, and they both knew that choosing between the two of them would result in losing yet one more person.

Elena had stopped knocking on the door, simply just entering when she arrived at the boarding house. It had been that way since she started dating Stefan. He had told her, that she didn't have to knock. She could just come right in. And so she did. This time as well.

"It's Elena!" She announced as she walked into the house. Stefan responded with a "Hi" from the kitchen, and she went to see him. She hugged him, making him wrap his arms around her.

"Good morning." He smiled. "Have you slept well?"

"I have." She returned his smile. "I take it that both of you have too?"

"Well, I definitely have," Stefan said. "Although I haven't seen Damon all morning. He's probably sleeping still."

Elena smiled and nodded. She unwrapped her arms from Stefan and walked towards Damons room. The door was still closed, but she opened it and peeked her head in. Damon was still in bed with the blankets pulled over his shoulders and wrapped around him tightly. It was very unlike him. He was always feeling warm during the night, at usually only kept the blanket around his waist. Damons eyes were closed, but Elena wasn't sure whether he was awake or not, yet she found him awfully pale. She tip-toed into the room, sitting on the edge of his bed.

Damon tiredly cracked his eyes open. Just a little. He looked at Elena miserably. She smiled kindly and brushed his raven dark hair away from his face with her fingers. She pressed the back of her hand against Damons boiling forehead and frowned in concern. Damon leaned against her cold skin.

"You're not feeling so good?" She asked but all she got in return was a whimper. Damon closed his eyes, and Elena simply ran her hands through his damp hair. They sat like that for a while. Elena soothing Damon into something close to sleep, but certainly not as peaceful, and Damon whimpering every now and then. She slowly rose from the bed, making Damon reach weakly for her and make protesting noises. She took his hand and shushed him, saying that she was simply gonna get something to help him.

Elena walked downstairs to the kitchen again, seeing Stefan doing the dishes.

"Damon is having a fever," she said. "Is that normal for a vampire?"

Stefan looked at her and shook his head worriedly.

"No," he said. "Not at all."

Stefan rushed to Damon's room, opening the door and kneeling beside the bed. He pressed his palm against Damon's heated forehead, making Damon whimper uncomfortably and pull away from Stefan.

"Hello brother," Stefan smiled warmly. "I'm just checking up on you. No need to fight against me right now. So what happened? Have you had something bad? Wrong meal?"

Damon shook his head a little and Elena walked up from behind, kneeling beside Stefan, taking Damon's hand into her own. She watched Stefan as he tried to figure out what was wrong. Damon was sweating and Elena went to fetch a towel, which she then pressed against Damon's warm temples and forehead.

"So what's wrong with him?" She asked and looked at Stefan.

"I think he might have fed on a sick person. Blood is what makes us function like normal people. If we don't function, it should be because of the blood. His body isn't healing him because human blood is what makes our immune system work. If the blood is bad, the immune system will fail. But that isn't entirely bad, because now we can give medicines without his body fighting against them."

Elena nodded, a tiny bit impressed by Stefan's medical skills.

"Okay," she said. "I think I'm gonna take it from here then."

Stefan nodded and gave Damon's shoulder a tight squeeze, wishing him luck on getting better. Then he left and Elena got into bed next to Damon, stroking his hair soothingly.

"Try to get some sleep," she said. "If you're not better afterward, I'll get you some medicines."