Sorrow

Nate

"Admit it" Ares demanded.

"Admit what?" I asked pretending to be clueless.

"Don't play dumb now" Ares said crossing his arms.

"He has always been dumb" Leo commented playing a mobile game.

"Hey!" I exclaimed and threw him a pillow.

We were in Ares' office at his house and we were discussing the 'rose' situation.

"Dude! I lost because of you!"

"Yeah because you're a noob"

"Guys, shut up" Ares said shutting us both up. "Come on Nate, we both know it's true"

"Ugh fine. It's true" I said giving in.

"Say the whole thing, I didn't come here for this" Leo said.

"I care about the girl alright?" I finally said.

"Aw Nate has a crush!" Leo cooed.

"Shut up! Go talk to Tessa"

"Stop being an ass dude!" Leo exclaimed.

"Yes, don't steal Leo's part" Ares said holding back his laughter.

"Hey!" Leo exclaimed this time and threw the pillow at Ares.

"Anyway it doesn't really matter. She's like a baby sister to me" I said stubbornly crossing my arms.

I don't even believe that

"You don't even believe that" Ares scoffed.

"She's so much younger, she couldn't be anything more"

"Serenity and I have an age gap too, so what?" Ares questioned.

"Well, it's not the same with us. She sees me as her friend. The moment this is over and she's back to her family she will forget about me"

"She won't" Ares said.

"She will. She will be busy with her family. She will forget about me and find someome else. Someone younger, someone who doesn't put his life and his loved ones at risk every day" I mumbled spacing out.

These thoughts were filling me with sorrow and I couldn't even explain why.

"Man you're done" Leo commented. "You sound like Ares when he started realizing he saw Serenity as more than a sister"

"No! No, absolutely not. I don't see her as more than a sister" I said.

"Nate, these feelings are new for you that's why it's hard for you to accept them" Ares explained.

"I don't want to accept them" I stated. "She's been through so much, she doesn't deserve this. I'm not dragging her into this again when she's finally out"

"Okay, if you can do it then go ahead. Live a life of misery" Ares said sighing.

"It's better I live a life of misery if that means she will be happy"

"Woah" Leo exclaimed. "I didn't know it was that bad" He mumbled.

"No, I just-she-" I groaned frustrated from not knowing how to explain and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Hey, it's okay" Ares reassured me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "How about we talk about something else? Like this whole Cole thing and how it's going to go" He suggested.

"Sure" I murmured.

"We know where this man is, why don't we just attack?" Leo asked.

"That would be too impulsive" Ares explained, "We need to be sure he trusts you"