Chapter 57

I edited this in my garden, and I could hardly see the screen lol. Sorry if there are more spelling mistakes than usual!

- Sian

Pip stared at the wolf for a long cold minute. The wolf nudged his cheek with its wet nose and even tried to lick Pip's face.

Pip wasn't sure if he wanted to run, talk, cry, or just lie in the snow until the cold engulfed him. Pip knew what Krey's wolf looked like, and that same wolf looked down on him, occasionally pawing at his shoulder.

How do I know it's really Krey? A part of Pip wanted to deny that werewolves even existed, despite one staring him in the face with glowing red eyes. Pip was still worried that the wolf wasn't Krey at all and would snap him up as soon as he moved.

Eventually, snow crunched under more feet and familiar voices echoed down the slope. "Get over there," Victoria hissed. Pip then heard what sounded like someone tripping in the snow. "Pip, it's okay. It's Krey, we just needed to be wolves to find you!" Victoria yelled down at him.

The wolf sat on its haunches and Pip finally dared to sit up. He glanced to Victoria in her black and white floral dress. Her curly blonde hair was more ruffled than it was at the party. She stood in front of Mark with a pointed finger in his face. Mark timidly stared at the ground, like a child in trouble with a parent.

Pip looked back to the wolf who hadn't moved a muscle. Blood dried around the wolf's mouth, and across the wolf's face.

Is this really Krey? Pip struggled to link the tall, dark haired, muscular nineteen-year-old to the fluffy yet terrifying wolf with glowing eyes. "C-Change back," Pip whispered. The wolf stood on all fours again, and Pip tensed. "I-In front of me. I have to see this," he whispered to himself.

The wolf's eyes flicked to Victoria who angrily scolding her mate for pushing Pippor towards wolves that could have been the enemy. Pip was glad that Krey wasn't going after Mark, his heart wasn't strong enough to see him attack.

The wolf sat down again and lowered its head.

Pip then watched as the beast transformed. Bones cracking and limbs distorting was so horrifying, Pip couldn't look away. Wide eyed, he watched everything. The transformation was like Krey's wolf turned inside out to reveal Krey on the inside, crouching in the snow, trying to tolerate the excruciating pain with a brave frown.

Krey turned his neck and it cracked, and the transformation was complete. He stared hard at Pip's horrified reaction.

"Oh come on," Krey said deeply. Snowflakes landed softly on his dark hair. "I'm not that ugly."

Pip would have been sick if he didn't fill the woods with nervous laughter. Pip covered his mouth and blinked until his eyes stopped stinging. More important things filled his head, like the scratches across Krey's face. "You're hurt," he made himself say. Pip had no problem getting close to Krey in his human form.

He knelt in the snow, cupping Krey's face. A cut deep enough to concern pip spread from Krey's inner brow, across his nose, and over his left cheek. Another scratch spread from the outer corner of Krey's right eye, to the top of his lip.

"Don't worry about me," Krey mumbled. He pulled Pip's hands away from his face and wrapped them around his neck. Krey gripped Pip's waist and hugged him tightly, burying his face into Pip's cold neck. "You're freezing."

Pip shivered against him, pushing his body into Krey who was hot like he spent his time standing next to an open fire.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Pip said through chattering teeth.