Chapter 38

A few weeks had passed and there wasn't a single day that the Weasleys didn't nag about not being able to participate in the order.

"Why can't we be in the meetings!?" Ron said enviously as I sipped quietly on my tea.

"Because you're not old enough," Mrs. Weasley reasoned firmly.

"Then how come Lexi can!?" said George, pointing a guilty finger at me. "She's two years younger than us! We're of age!"

"Don't drag me into this," I said, grinning.

"Her case is different, George," said Mrs. Weasley, growing irritated.

"Tsk, tsk," Fred shook his head disapprovingly. "What's with all this favoritism, mother?"

"Oh, hush!"

***

That night after dinner, to everyone's dismal, Mrs. Weasley sent us all upstairs to do the rest of our homework before sleep.

But as we were going up the staircases, we passed the parlor in which we saw Sirius alone, as he stared down at the old piano, dragging his fingers over its keys, though not pushing them to make a sound.

I stood there frozen on my spot, glancing nervously at him. By one look at me, Fred nudged me gently and whispered, "Go talk to him."

I shook my head, stepping away from the door.

"Oh, c'mon," he sighed. "I could tell that you've been wanting to ever since we heard him and Lupin."

"I can't!" I huffed. "What do you expect me to ask him?"

"Everything that has been bothering you," Fred shrugged. "About his conversation with Lupin, about why Kreacher treats you differently than the rest of us, and how Sirius knew your mother."

"I thought you said they were all coincidences?" I folded my arms.

"I did, but you clearly don't think so," he then smiled at me encouragingly. "Go on. It'll be alright."

By that, he gave my cheek a small caress with his thumb before following everybody else upstairs and leaving me and my thoughts alone.

Hesitantly, I walked towards the parlor and knocked at its door, getting Sirius's attention.

"Oh hey, Lexi," he gave me a weird smile before looking back at the dusty piano. "How are you?"

"Fine," I said. "Do you play?" I asked, gesturing at the piano.

"Yeah," he nodded. "Or at least, used to."

"Me too," I beamed, walking slowly inside, looking around uncomfortably.

"Really? So... are you any good?" Sirius grinned sheepishly down at me.

"Not even a bit," I chuckled nervously, "we had a piano at home when I was a kid and I loved it when either of my parents played. Although, I was too young to play back then. But I started taking music classes at my school when we had moved to America; after a few years of being there, of course."

"You used to live in America?" he raised a curious brow at me.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Just for a few years, though. My father insisted that we should leave the country when I was around four. I really don't know why, though. Neither did my mum. But we moved anyway. He was acting really weird. I mean... I don't remember it much, but that's my mother's version of saying it."