Chapter Two

II
• • •

A week had gone by since I had moved in to my dorm, and I finally had established a sense of day-to-day normalcy.

Ali and I had grown closer throughout the week, and I could tell that we would become really good friends. Her vibrant personality made her so much fun to be around.

As soon as I got back to my dorm room after my morning class, I grabbed my work uniform out of my closet and changed into it. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and slipped on the brown visor they gave me that had a coffee cup symbol on the front.

Earlier in the week I had applied and gotten a job at this cute little café up the street called "Cocoa Café". I had already had a few shifts there, and it was essentially my dream college job.

They gave me free coffee, and let me take some food at the end of my shift to eat. The job was minimum wage, but I had already gotten a decent amount of tips in addition to the hourly pay.

"Hey," Ali greeted as she opened up the door and walked into the room. "Look at you being all cute in your uniform."

"Yeah, I love the middle-aged-mom vibe the visor's giving," I replied and she chuckled. It was a pretty cute uniform, though... there were definitely worse ones out there.

"Did you just get back or are you heading out now?" she asked, plugging her phone in to charge.

"Heading out now.. I should be back in a few hours," I told her, slipping on my black sneakers.

"Maybe I'll stop by the café at some point and say hi.. I don't suppose there's an awesome-roommate discount?" she asked casually as she opened up a few books on her desk.

"Why of course," I smiled and grabbed my phone and keys before making my way over to the door, "Later."

"Peace," she responded as I closed the door. Getting in my car, I plugged into the aux chord and starting playing some chill music before driving away.

The ride there was pretty short. I arrived pretty early to my shift, so I waited in the car for a few minutes before getting out. When I walked into the place, I was immediately engulfed in the café's cozy, welcoming environment.

"Hey Crystal," one of the boys I work with, Seth, greeted me. I smiled and waved. "Want to take over the register?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure," I replied and made my way behind the counter and to the register. He thanked me and began making some people's drinks.

After helping me out for a little while, he took his brown apron off and walked around to the other side of the counter, getting ready to leave.

"What can I get you, Seth," I asked humorously as he stood in front of me at the register. He pretended to be looking over the menu on the board as if he had never been there.

"I'll have a mocha frappe, anddd your number," he looked at me with a casual smile. I rolled my eyes.

"Seth, I told you. I have a boyfriend," I said and chuckled, grabbing a to-go cup and starting to make the mocha frappe.

"I know I know.. but I like you a latte," he continued on lightheartedly.

"Coffee pun. Nice." I chuckled again as I finished getting his drink. "Doesn't change the fact that I have a boyfriend."

"Well, he should be careful- one day my coffee puns might just be too much for you to resist," he joked.

"See you tomorrow," I told him with another eye roll as I handed him his drink. Seth always tried to flirt with me, but it was harmless. If there's one thing I knew about Seth, it's that he's not one to be taken very seriously.