Chapter 23

Haileys POV

"What?" I asked not sure if I heard correctly

"He died." He said again as his eyes watered.

I felt so horrible that this happened to this amazing boy laying next to me. I don't know anything about his relationship with his father or what happened, but I could tell that it was enough to make him extremely shaken up.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him gently, seeing how much he was struggling with this.

"No." He said as a single tear fell from his eye. He quickly wiped it, hoping I wouldn't see it, but it was too late. I had already seen it.

I wrapped my arms around him and held him against me. He held me back tightly as his whole body slightly shook.

"I'm here, River" I reminded him.

His head was buried in the crook of my neck and I could feel the moisture leaving his eyes. I had a feeling he was too embarrassed to look into my eyes as he cried and that was ok even though I would never judge him.

"I'm here." I whispered to him

"Please don't give up on me." He said so lowly I almost didn't hear it.

"I won't," I answered "ever."

We both silently agreed that we were done talking after that as we drifted to sleep.

Rivers POV

When Hailey showed up at my door I could've collapsed from relief. I don't know how she knew something was wrong from only hearing my voice, but she did.

I was so thankful that she came, I didn't think there would ever be a girl who actually cared for me and not my money or my looks.

I was so used to girls using me and vice versa, that I didn't think this would ever happen to me.

I don't think anyone in the world could comfort me the way she does. The second I saw her face it felt like 1,000 pounds lifted from my chest and I could breathe again.

I can't believe I opened up to her and actually told her what I was feeling and what happened between me and my mom. I've never spoken like that with someone who wasn't my mom or the boys on occasion

It was so strange how our dynamic had changed. It felt like overnight we went from fighting all the time and now she's not afraid to come up to me and hug me.  I love it.

I couldn't believe how comfortable I felt around her. It felt almost natural for her to be holding me where as if any girl ever tried to do this to me, I would kick them out before they could touch me.

I'll admit, I don't really like being touched unless... you know, but I have my reasons.

With Hailey, it was the opposite. I felt better when she was touching me even when it wasn't something sexual. When she hugged me, I felt safe. Even something as small as when we would be on her bed and our legs touched. Her touch made me feel warm.

What shocked me the most is what i said about my dad. I have never uttered those words to anyone before. The only people who know the truth about what happened are once again the boys and my family. Everybody else just figured they got a divorce or something and he wasn't around anymore. Let them believe what they want. I would never talk about that day with anyone, except Hailey I guess.

It helped even more that she didn't spew some bullshit about how sorry she was. I hated when people tried to pity me.

I can't believe I let myself breakdown in front of her. I thought I'd be more embarrassed than I am, but for some reason she makes me feel comfortable.

I sound like such a sap.

The fact that she wasn't pushing me to tell her what happened was making me even more grateful to have her around.

I don't think I could ever go back to how my life was before I had Hailey.

****
A/N: sorry for the short chapter but I just had to give a lil River insight ;(