47. No words needed

Chapter 47

Owen stood his ground and watched the tears roll down Mavi's face. Her shoulders shook as she sobbed helplessly in front of him.

The pressure in Owen's head slowly reached a boiling point as he watched Mavi. Every breath he took reminded him of his helplessness.

He wasn't there......he wasn't there for her.

A deafening ringing in Owen's ears was the only thing he could hear. Like a stretched rubber band, he felt something snap in his mind.....and then he was off. He knew exactly where he had to go.

Mavi struggled to breath through her tears as she watched Owen storm out of the room. Gemma reached out to stop her from following after him, but Mavi wouldn't listen.

"Owen!" Mavi called out to him as she followed him down the palace halls.

Alec ran after Mavi and his brother, feeling like the world's biggest idiot.

"Owen, stop!" Mavi pleaded as Owen quickened his pace and stormed down the stairs.

Mardick stepped out of his office as the three rushed past. He looked at Mavi with worry and wondered what was the matter. He had never seen her so panicked.

"Owen!" Alec tried. "Where are you going?"

Without answering, Owen rounded the corner and went down the corridor that led to the dungeon.

Mavi broke out into a run after her mate and grabbed his arm, "Owen! Stop!"

When Owen pulled his arm away and continued on his path, Mavi felt as if she might break all over again. With Alec on her heels, they followed Owen down to the dungeon.

"What are you doing?" Mavi asked breathlessly as she watched him open Arion's cell.

The next several seconds were absolute chaos. Mavi screamed as Owen grabbed Arion and threw him against the wall. The old man in a ten year old's body looked up at Owen with a mocking smile.

"I wanted her dead.....but it seems I managed to kill someone else instead," Arion laughed.

Owen grabbed him again and pulled his arm back to deliver a punch to the prick's face.

"Alec, stop him!" Mavi yelled for help.

Alec rushed forward and caught Owen's punch. He pushed his brother away from Arion and stood in between them.

"Get out of my way," Owen growled.

"Owen, calm down," Alec said, holding up his hand as if he was talking to a wild animal.

"Move, Alec!" Owen shouted.

"No," Mavi shouted back. "Owen stop, please!"

Arion laughed in the background, making the situation worse.

"I'm going to kill him," Owen lunged forward over Alec.

Mavi screamed again, "Owen!"

"Stop this!" Alec said, struggling to hold Owen back away from Arion. "Look at Mavi. Look at her."

Alec tried his best to divert his brother's attention to the girl hysterically crying behind them.

"You want to waste your time with this fucker right now, or you want to go hold her?" Alec asked. "She needs you more right now."

As Mavi listened to Alec's words she found herself walking backwards until her back hit the walls behind her. Her legs wobbled as she began to sink to the ground. Her arms wrapped around her midsection as she tried to hold herself together.