Chapter 8

Beth woke up sweating.

The moon was still high in the sky.

And the grass under her feet was cool.

Behind her, the castle was not far away.

In front of her the vaguely familiar forest towered, trees reaching for the sky as if it were their only hope. Deep in the trees, burning, amber-green eyes peered out at her.

Entranced, Beth took three steps closer, nearly entering the forest...

A sharp crack rang through the air and pain shot through her bare foot as she stepped on a twig and the eyes vanished.

She froze and stared. Had she imagined it? Was it just a remanence of her dream?

They reappeared less than ten yards away, three-quarters of the distance between them closed in mere seconds.

Terrified, Beth turned and raced back to the castle.

Halfway back she saw Bernard sprinting out of the castle and thanked the heavens for the fire he had insisted on maintaining. He must have come to add more fuel and noticed she was missing.

"Bernard!" she called loudly, willing herself not to scream as she heard it snarl and crash through the brush into the open.

Instantly Bernard turned and ran to meet her, electric lantern held aloft.

When she was almost to him she tripped, but Bernard caught her easily, his free arm supporting her.

In the same instant an ear-piercing growl rang through the night.

Daring a glance over her shoulder, Beth saw a massive black wolf with amber-green eyes burning above bright ivory fangs bared in a angry snarl. His bristling fur gleamed silver-white in the moonlight.

Bernard pulled Beth behind him and rested his hand against the hilt of his sword that she only now noticed.

"Beth, go inside." Bernard ordered her firmly, and Beth was prepared to argue with Bernard until he came with her, but it wasn't necessary. The wolf had seen the sword and was backing away into the night.

As he melted into the shadows, both Bernard and Beth would have sworn he rose up and walked on two legs, a half human form visible for the merest instant.

And then he was gone.

Bernard remained on guard untill Beth pulled on the sleeve of his suit and coaxed him to follow her back inside.

"Miss Beth." Once they were inside Bernard addressed her. "Are you alright? How, if I may be so bold, did you come to be outside the castle without so much as a dressing robe at this hour?"

There was only concern in his tone, and Beth relaxed slightly, shivers running through her as the adrenaline of the encounter seeped away.

Bernard swiftly removed his suit jacket and draped it over her shoulders.

"I-I'm fine Bernard, but... thank you."

Bernard said nothing, simply laying a single hand on her shoulder as Beth calmed down and collected her thoughts.

"I was sleepwalking. I've never done that before in my life Bernard. That..." she faltered. "That was terrifying."

Bernard nodded. "I understand. Do not fear anymore miss Beth. I will make sure this does not happen again."

"But..." Beth's voice trailed off again. "Bernard... wasn't the front door locked?"

Bernard simply nodded again.