Prologue

England, 1145

Hazel eyes watched her opponent. Stepping sideways to the right, he tapped the edge of her sword; Taunting her to make her move.

They walked in a slow cirlce one waiting for the others move. In a silver arched slice, he lunged forward. The soft gasp and squeal of her voice escaped her lips as she reacted quickly dodging the attack.

In a swift movement of an eye blurring spin that none expected , she swept her sword low, catching her opponent by the heal and watched with triumph as he fell on his back to the soft grass beneath them.

Astonishment froze on the young girls face as she watched him go down. For a moment he simply stared at the blue sky above him. The heavy chuckle and applause of his observer and soft giggle of his opponent came to his ears. Her triumphant giggles of laughter celebrating her victorious win, brought him up on his elbows.

"I did it!" she giggled twirling around in circles and jumping.

"Little imp," he said with a grin shaking his head. "When did you learn that move?"

"Papa taught it to me," She beamed with pride.

Harold Du'Montclief looked over his shoulder to the teasing smile of his brother, before he mockingly gave him a bow.

Brienna walked closer and extended her hand to her uncle. With a wicked grin he pulled her to the soft grass beside him and tickled her mercilessly. In a crumpled heap of chuckles, giggles and laughter. The slow rumble on the ground brought them up from their play.

Hugh and Harold stood dusting his clothes off, they heard the slow hoof beats of approaching horses. They watched the familiar riders come close. Over one hundred men on horses all dressed in armor with shields in a long line from the keep followed.

Two front riders walked their horses close.

"M'lord t'is time, we are ready when you are," one of the riders announced.

With a stern nod, he turned to look at his daughter. He watched his brother rumple her hair and give her a kiss on her forhead.

Sad hazel eyes looked at him. With a soft reassuring smile he knelt before her and pulled her close into his warm embrace.

"Must you go, Papa?" she asked softly.

Misted eyes looked at her.

"Aye, I must princess. It is a war out there and I must fight alongside the king," he spoke softly.

Tilting her chin up he met her sad eyes with determined gaze trying to coax her beautiful smile he loved.

"While I am gone, you are to be on your best behavior. Am I clear?"

Nodding her head she agreed.

"Aye, but I am not promising anything," she pouted.

With an amuzed chuckle of his men that stood near he pulled her in his warm embrace with a laugh. He kissed her on her forehead and hugged her tight.

Standing he clasped her hands in his and walked her over to her horse. He sat her above the large steed and handed her the reigns. With a wide smile of reassurance from them all, she turned her horse around and in a slow trot she rode off towards their home. He watched her disappear beyond the gates. Slowly he turned to look at his vast holdings.

With a deep breath he turned and mounted his horse. Unsure of how long this war would last, he gave one last glance at his home before turning and giving the signal and riding off with his men to war.