Chapter 39 - Savior

I'm so sorry this took so long, I'll try to have the other chapters up by today as well 💜 Thank you everyone for being understanding and waiting

You woke up when you would assume it was morning. Being on a lower level of a pirate ship, it was hard to tell from the lack of sunlight flooding through the ship. You could sort of see the rising sun through the porthole window when there wasn’t water in front of it. 

You moved to sit up, your body aching from to uncomfortable floor and sleeping position. You rubbed the sleep from your eyes, the chains clinking together. You stretched your sore muscles.

You looked around adjusting to the dim light. You sat there in your thoughts, remembering where you were. What were you supposed to do? You looked around the room. There was nothing here other than you and the iron cell.

You sat there waiting and listening to see if you could hear anything going on above you. You could hear some muffled voices, but couldn’t make out any actually words from any of them. 

You leaned back up against the wall behind you. Closing your eyes, you started thinking about the situation you’re in. You’re stuck on a pirate ship, in a cage, with shackles around your wrists, and about level with the water from the view you got from the porthole. The easiest way out would be to get out of the shackles, slip through the bars, and find a way to open the porthole. But it’s all easier said than done, but its worth a shot.

You examined the shackles around your wrist. The metal was fairly long down your wrist, but the metal didn’t look too thick. But before you could try to get lose, you heard footsteps coming downstairs. 

You looked back up at the stairway to see Hongjoong, smirking when he saw you, and being followed by all the men you’ve seen before trying to capture you. Well, almost, there was one you didn’t recognize, that had a sweeter face than the rest of them.

You tried your best not to look scared. You glared at Hongjoong, despite your racing heart. Hongjoong coaxed his head, seeming amused by your attempts at seeming confident. He took a few steps forward, reaching into his pocket while doing so, and pulled out a key ring.

The door to your cell opened up with a loud squeak. Hongjoong looked down on you, making your body begin to quiver. You kept up your facade of trying to seem confident. He kneeled down in front of you and continued to stare at you. Guess you had to be the one who spoke first.

“What do you want with me?” You managed to keep your voice from faltering, but still only earned an amused chuckle from Hongjoong. 

“Nothing for now, but you’ll see before the end of today. But for now, I’d appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me.” He studied you for a moment before you softened your gaze slightly. That can’t be that bad, right?

“Did the other mermaids tell you about another mermaid, a female, to be exact?” The smirk left his face and he stared at you with narrowed eyes.

“Yeah, what about her?” 

“Did they also make you aware that you look exactly like her?” His voice sharpened.

“Yes but, I have no relation to her and I have no idea why she looks like me.”

Hongjoong slammed his hand on the wall behind you, making you jump, moving closer to your face, anger now prevalent on his face. “Liar.” You started growing nervous at his words. 

“I’m being serious, I have no idea. I only found out I look her a few days ago.” You raised your voice in desperation. He stared at you for a few seconds before removing his hand. But he only moved it behind his back and pulled out a knife. 

“I’ll give you one last chance to tell me the reason, you better tell me why.”

“You really think I have any place to lie to you right now, if I knew why I’d tell you but I don’t-” You were cut off as Hongjoong slashed your arm with the knife. You bit back a cry but couldn’t hold in your face of pain. 

You quickly moved your hand to cover the new wound out of instinct. You glared back at Hongjoong. He moved back with an unamused look on his face. He stared back at you for a few seconds before standing up, your eyes following.

He walked out of your cell and shut the door. Before heading up the stairs, however, he spoke up. “Let me know when you’re ready to talk.” He walked up the stairs and out of the room, his crew following. But the one you didn’t recognize stayed where he was, watching the others walk out.

He turned to you after watching the last member leave. He didn’t seem as intimidating as the rest. He approached the cell and opened it back up. You didn’t know what his intentions were so you tried to push yourself back into your cell farther.

“Don’t be afraid, I’m not going to hurt you. I just want to help with that.” He held his hands up in defense and pointed at where Hongjoong cut you. He pulled around a bag that was around his shoulder and started pulling out various bandages. 

“Sorry about Hongjoong, he loses his temper pretty easily.” You nodded slightly at his words, not really listening. He gently started cleaning your cut, neither of you really saying anything. You watched him as he took care of your wound, carefully wrapping it in a bandage. 

“So, you really don’t know why you look like the other mermaid?” He asked you, as he finished. You shook your head no. He nodded at your response. He started to pack up the rest of the bandages. “I’m Yunho by the way. I’ll be standing at the top of the stairs, so if you need anything just call for me.” He said before standing up, shutting the cell door, and heading up the stairs.

You noticed, however, Yunho forgot to lock your cell door. 

You looked back down at the cuff on your wrists. Still trying to see if you could get loose, you tried to slide the cuffs off your hands. After folding your hand every which way and twisting the cuff back and forth, you managed to get one off. Filled with adrenaline, your hand started shaking as you tried to get the other one off. Once again, you managed to slide it off.

But as you were about the stand up, the porthole of the ship was shattered, spraying water everywhere. The room started to fill up with water. But looking past all the water, you saw something that gave you hope.

A familiar mermaid tail.